Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

building high comp 253

VHCOMMO87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/X
Cheers for all the advice Guy's decided for now I am going to tidy up the heads put in a cam, put a gasket kit through her and change the diff gears and just enjoy cruising her. What type of cam would suit for the street? I have been looking at the Crane Cam C241 what do you guys think on cam??

Tom..

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
The 241 isn't really worth bothering with. For a 253 with stock stall, the H264 or crow 5666 is the best choice.

VHCOMMO87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/X
The 241 isn't really worth bothering with. For a 253 with stock stall, the H264 or crow 5666 is the best choice.

Cheers for the advice mate was not to sure as I've read that a to big of a cam in 253 is no good for bottom end power. I will look into the 2 you have suggested.

Cheers Tom.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
I would consult the cam grinder and go the biggest cam with stock heads they recommend.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Most V8 owners will tell you to ditch the 253 because it lacks the capacity to give any real performance but in a smaller car like the VH, it could be quite a reasonable performer. You said you only wanted a cruiser, not a bruiser, so with sensible mods you can make it just what you want.

At least in the VH, you finally scored a four barrel. Should have been there from the start. Years ago I had a 253 HG GTS manual. The only mods were dual pipes and a Holley 350 two barrel carb. The Monaro was a heavy car, yet it could keep up with a mate's 308 HQ van and beat another mate's 308 Premier wagon with a single exhaust system. And that was just a red 253. It convinced me that little motor had something to offer and I laugh when others ****-can it because it's too small.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
The only mods were dual pipes and a Holley 350 two barrel carb. The Monaro was a heavy car, yet it could keep up with a mate's 308 HQ van and beat another mate's 308 Premier wagon with a single exhaust system.
Old blokes like to toss off Ill bet the 308s you beat were out of tune and had bugger all point gap left or something else wrong with them a 350 holley beat something with a 4 barrel didn't the 4 barrel open?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Old blokes like to toss off Ill bet the 308s you beat were out of tune and had bugger all point gap left or something else wrong with them a 350 holley beat something with a 4 barrel didn't the 4 barrel open?

Well you sound like a real asset to this forum you fool. I don't need to exaggerate because unlike you, I'm not trying to impress anybody. Piss off.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
My 308 with VL tidied big valve heads, crow 5666, performer, tri y's and twin 2.5" exhaust on straight gas has no trouble keeping up with stock ls1 commodores (in a controlled environment of course) which is pretty cool. The lighter weight of the HJ does help.

That said, a 253 is much, much slower than a 308 with equivalent mods. A stock 308 won't even keen up with a stock VN V6...

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
The 308's I was mixing with were pre-pollution models in HT and HG sedans which were much lighter than later models. Back then, with duals, they put out 240 bhp and the 253 put out 185.

Gearing made the difference in my Monaro as the Saginaws ratios were well matched to the Holden V8, plus I was running a 3.36 banjo rear end versus their 3.08.

I'm not one of those idiots who makes outlandish claims like some on the forum. I said it matched the 308 van and beat the 308 Auto Premier with a single exhaust. If some find that hard to fit into their preconceptions of 253's, I don't give a rat's arse.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Well you sound like a real asset to this forum you fool. I don't need to exaggerate because unlike you, I'm not trying to impress anybody. Piss off.

Well put....Personally having a 253 is a cheaper option to a 308, because every man and his dog wants a 308....Personally I have seen some stout 253's that have out performed 308's in the burnout scene.....

For the OP....Continue with your plans building a 253.....A 4 barrel, perhaps head work and a small cam and decent extractors should wake it up nicely and give you the pleasure you seek with the driving....I won't go into any sort of detail on exactly what you should get, but I am sure you'll be satisfied with the result in the end...