Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

bullbar

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
well my car has an aluminimum [sp?...bugger it] bull bar [or roo bar whatever *shrugs*] and looking at the original owners documents it cost them about 680 fitted. im wondering if i can get away with selling it for say 3 or 4 hundred. but my question is this, i figure its no more than 20 kilos [or around that area] so taking it off wouldnt do much in way of acceleration would it?

but im siding with keeping it and just dicing the spotties [ones dead the other is pretty buggered] to improve flow to the nose a little. im coming to this conclusion for the following reasons;

1) i dont mind how it looks
2) i figure if i hit something it'll take mroe damage than my car, saving a dollar or two on the repair there
3) i dont have airbags so switches and compliance arent an issue [so long as the spottie wires get removed properly not just coiled up under the hood
4) im not sure if it stiffens the chassis a little [almost like an external strut brace.. only... not. yes i know it wont do **** all to brace the shocks but the frame in general maybe.]

so who wants to flip the coin for me

a) i keep something unique for my car [though not peformance related]
b) i make whatever i do off it and invest the money back into my car [either get that cai/filter or sports exhaust

one of the other reasons im leaning toward keeping it is i feel it keeps my "attraction factor" down as it would appear to be either a parents or generally "not kid modded" so less chance of blue attention. same reason why i wasnt going to bother with mags bigger then 16-17" or a body kit.....
at least untill i get off my P's :p

for the sake of money and subtley im goign for a "stock rocket" approach. aka a sleeper.

p.s. sorry if its the wrong spot but i figure im not sellign it yet so no to that section, its not a how to as im asking questions, its not part of engine development so that rules that out leaving just the VS section which my car is [see vBgarage, Sig]

Thanks in advance.

Infus10n

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Captiva (Work Demo)
Depends where you drive... If your driving country and hit a roo thats good for you but in the city if you hit a car you do mroe damage to them, may half ur bill but double theres (if your in the wrong still costs the same for you). They just look ugly imo but if you like it then keep it, its your car.

R

rattattack1313

I would leave it on...saves a lot of damage to your front end in a bingle.....it doesn't affect the structural strenght of the chassis at all......tape up the spottie wires.......replace spotties??........................ :rat:

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Second hand you'd be lucky to get $100 in the city - maybe a little more in the bush and also you'd also have marks or holes left from where you removed the roo bar. You're the boss and it's your choice.

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
yeah i was just tossing up at this stage, spotties are definityly going in the bin. as for marks or holes the bar is mounted by two points though the big lower vent [doesnt even go under the bumper] so if anything a light removal would leave two brackets.

as for ****ing up someone else car more than mine, well TWICE i've had wankers pull out infront of me when i had clear right of way [i was doing less than 50 both occasions [intersection once and just up from lights second time] and both times the other driver [i'd say mid 30's female both times] pulled out misjudging my speed [again below limit]

both times i came down firmly on the brakes and nothing was touched. but in a situation like that i would almost say "good on them for being either stupid or impatient" but on the other hand fair go, more the reason to take it easy on the roads.

which highlights my fear "i dont mind if i hit someone, my fault. im worried about someone hitting me" some perth drivers just cant :S

so in the name of protecting my car i'll be hanging onto it for a while. at least untill either people dont do stupid pull outs / cutoffs in front of me or i can afford nice tires and top notch brake pads.

Macca177

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman V8
the bar u have is worth bout $50 if that but u may find sumone to buy it, its also not that strong so if u did hit a roo it would only make a difference at a slow speed at high speed, it would do nothing. i use to work in a shop[ that fitted sold used these bars. they are only bout $550 new to fit these days anyways.

J

JoeCamel

are you still selling it, Patrio? ome guy says it's worth 50, the other says 100.. both say thats only if you got a buyer for it...

GOT ONE!!

I'll offer you 75 for it... I'm only 10 mins away from glendalough, and will even come pick it up..

whaddaya think?

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
i am leaning toward keeping it also note that it is a non airbag bar [if you have air bags this will block the sensors]

10mins away eh? should hook up one day go for a spin somewhere. or somthing :p

Shivaga

Reaction score
Website
www.bhss.com.au
Members Ride
'05 VZ Lumina 3.6V6
when my family used to live in the country, we HAD TO get a roo bar (minitaure bullbar) for the camry. moved back to the city and didnt need it, so we sold it for $50. Dont remember what we got it for, maybe 300? but they dont have a very good resale value

Troy5L

building a lemon
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gu patrol td42
dude they look crap, no commo looks gud wif it on onli the utes wif spot lights on them, i wouldnt bother keeping it....sell it