Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

busted front strut - ok to still drive with for a couple of weeks?

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
It's illegal to drive an un-roadworthy vehicle, if you feel that due to this defect in the strut the vehicle is un-roadworthy, don't drive it.

It will probably be fine to drive and you probably won't notice a different so long as you don't pretend to be doing a top 10 shootout lap at Bathurst.

Personally, I wouldn't drive it not because it's technically unroadworthy, but because the consequences IF something does fit the fan are not something I would be comfortable to face.

On an unrelated note, pretty sure there is no need for calling members panzies or chocolate fish.

bogan_vk

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
personally id fix it before id drive it but im a real fussy bastard when it comes to safety items on my car ..

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
When you say "busted front strut" what exactly do you mean???

Reaper

CV6Z

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Commodore
ive been readnig all the opinions and have taken in the advice - when i say it busted i went to holden at rockhampton to get them to diagnose the oil leak which they confirmed was the front right strut. they said it would be fine to drive (i was on my way home from townsville to bundy then out to biggenden west of bundy) so long as i took it easy as in keepin to the speed limit and not over-taking trucks ect..

all it is, is the rubber seal has **** itself and the oil inside the strut has leaked out thus the strut beng worn out. i havnt noticed any changes to steering, braking ect and ive got to drive 40km in a 100kpn zone to work. its been ok driving it BUT WILL BE REPLACING BOTH STRUTS THIS WEEKEND...

i understand people sayin not to drive n fix it asap but the reality is that i cant and do need to go to work i havnt been driving like a hero i dont anyway....its an oil leak from the strut..

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
If it's just leaking oil then you should be fine for a while.

Form your descriptions it sounded like "busted" meant the thing was collapsed and knocking about in the cartridge.

CV6Z

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Commodore
yeah sorry if i gave the wrong impression guys, what i meant by busted was that the rubber seal has split n leaked the oil from the strut itself - oil all over the strut and under the gaurd ect - its not physically knocking about as though the bolts have snapped, its just leaked the oil and is worn...thats what meant in my original post was that is t ok to still drive the car to n from work with a worn front strut/leaking oil...

my apologies to those who i gave the wrong impression of it acutally being busted and knocking about...

Clutchy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
I drove for who knows how long with a buggered strut the car had a wheel alignment done and all and they couldent find the noise in the front end so I undone the strut at a mates work shop and it pissed off on me so I put new struts in it and it dident fix the noise the strut was stuffed but had no affect on the car so how many people really know the condition of there suspension parts that are goin off at the people that say its ok to drive with a soft strutt ??