Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Buying a vy wagon (my rights?)

jordan.ronchi

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Hey everyone so I'm buy a vy wagon maybe and just wondering what are my rights , like if I buy the car the seller sells the car with rego

No Rwc . Signs the tranfer papers and a receipt saying I payed ?

He can't go report it stolen or say I want it back can he ? And also can I tranfer it in my name with no Rwc I live in Victoria if that helps

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kingyinperth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 2012 Heron SS Thunder Ute M6
And pay by bank cheque,keep a record of the cheque number...will be sweet as.Impossible for the seller to do anything untoward with all that in place.Unless your already thinking maybe that something isn't right with the prospective seller or the vehicle?? then look elsewhere.

not sure of rwc rules in VIC..in WA we have NO rwc requirement AT ALL lol.Might want to get it inspected/have a mechanically minded person check it out in case its a lemon though...buyer beware as you will have no recourse after you hand over the money if its a shitbox.
good luck...

phillyG

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY s2 Spac 3.8 n/a
Hey everyone so I'm buy a vy wagon maybe and just wondering what are my rights , like if I buy the car the seller sells the car with rego

He can't go report it stolen or say I want it back can he ? And also can I tranfer it in my name with no Rwc I live in Victoria if that helps

Thanks

In victoria you will need a rwc to transfer, new laws may be coming in that you wont need to if the vehicle is less than 5 years old but thats another story.

Your rights will be, once you pay and a reciept/contract has been written up by you or him about the terms and conditions of the sale, practically nothing. once you leave with the car if it was to fall apart and spontaneously combust down the street it is no longer his problem, it is yours.

He can not report it stolen if you have proof of purchase, ie said reciept/contract with a copy and both partys signed, include a 3rd party witness if you want to be sure.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Little known rule... You have 14 days to produce a valid rec AFTER the transfer otherwise registration is suspended... Not canceled.

Also, its law that when selling a car with registration it must have a valid rwc

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)

Thanks

This explains the transfer....Buying & selling : VicRoads

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
You want to be careful buying a car without a RWC as you could be in for a nasty surprise money wise when you present it for a RWC and the mechanic finds heaps of problems requiring fixing. I wouldn't buy a car without a RWC as it is an unknown what it will cost you to obtain a RWC. You should also do a PPSR check on the car to make sure there is no money owing on the car.

Husky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII L67 Berlina Wagon and VEIISSV M6 Sportswagon
Little known rule... You have 14 days to produce a valid rec AFTER the transfer otherwise registration is suspended... Not canceled.

Also, its law that when selling a car with registration it must have a valid rwc

Not true. You can sell it with reg but without a rwc, however the buyer will need to get a rwc done to keep it registered after you transfer it. My friend bought a vx and it took him about 3 weeks to pass a rwc, but the rego kept going.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Sorry husky, while that happens a lot. Technically the seller is supposed to provide the rwc. Its stated quite clearly on the vicroads website.

MUSone

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Y Senator
Sorry husky, while that happens a lot. Technically the seller is supposed to provide the rwc. Its stated quite clearly on the vicroads website.

I have brought numerous cars with reg but no rwc, just go to vic roads and put it in your name not a issue at all. You then have 2 weeks to get the rwc done before reg is suspended.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
I have brought numerous cars with reg but no rwc, just go to vic roads and put it in your name not a issue at all. You then have 2 weeks to get the rwc done before reg is suspended.

I reiterate.. it happens a lot. But the law is different to what happens. Just trying to clarify. I too have bought and sold many registered vehicles with reg and no rwc. He asked his rights... I'm telling him.