Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Buying a ZB.

Stroppy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Sportwagon
Hi all. I am thinking about taking the plunge in buying either a Calais V or Commodore RS. Both the cars I am looking at have very, very low kays. I already own a VF wagon but this new car will become our main buggy whilst the VF will become the shopping trolley...a role previously performed by our trusty old Hyundai Accent. If I buy one of the two I am looking at I will get my fantastic mechanic to give it a "christening service" and a good once over.
What I'd like to know is does the 4WD setup cause any problems? Is the 1.9 motor in the RS over-stressed? How are both cars in terms of overall reliability and the most important question, how will the parts situation be down the track and also at the moment. TIA.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
for the awd some people have reported leaking/issues with the diffs but i have not seen much else, the awd is 6cyl only.
the 4cyl motor seems to be fine i have not heard about it being stressed.

i can only speak for my vehicle which is the rs v6, its a daily driver that does 100km+ per day, its on about 125,000km now and has not skipped a beat
i drive it pretty hard and i service it every 10k and the only thing that has gone wrong is a leaky ac pipe which was an easy replacement.

parts can be difficult as you may need to order them from europe but servicing items can all be found locally.
for me i like the vehicle and have no problems with it, i am not really a brand loyalist so i dont care for the badge i am just used to the gm layout.

its no racecar but it is a really good daily driver and mine spends most of its time at 100~110 kph on country roads.

Stroppy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Sportwagon
Thanks Stooge. The two cars I am looking at are a 2018 4 cylinder RS with less than ten kay on the odo and a 2019 Calais V with under 20 kay. I love the Calais because it has the radar cruise control and the head-up display but the dealer wants north of 40 k for it and isn't interested in bargaining. The RS is 33k but has no more warranty left. I wonder if the RS has the radar cruise control?
Anyway...decisions, decisions!!!
I like the Holden because the indicator is on the correct side, it has a normal torque converter auto, it looks great and I've been told by others that it drives great. I will try and bargain the dealers down a bit.

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
Thanks Stooge. The two cars I am looking at are a 2018 4 cylinder RS with less than ten kay on the odo and a 2019 Calais V with under 20 kay. I love the Calais because it has the radar cruise control and the head-up display but the dealer wants north of 40 k for it and isn't interested in bargaining. The RS is 33k but has no more warranty left. I wonder if the RS has the radar cruise control?
Anyway...decisions, decisions!!!
I like the Holden because the indicator is on the correct side, it has a normal torque converter auto, it looks great and I've been told by others that it drives great. I will try and bargain the dealers down a bit.
Still a bit pricey for the age, I reckon.

Reactions: Lex

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Missus vetoed the purchase. She has gone and ordered a Mazda 3 SP25. I never win in this household! :confused:

Its probably the better move in the end.

When i go to replace the zb i am considering a mazda or a scoobydoo.
I might even look at the stinger but i am not sure which way i will go.

Stroppy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Sportwagon
Its probably the better move in the end.

When i go to replace the zb i am considering a mazda or a scoobydoo.
I might even look at the stinger but i am not sure which way i will go.
I looked at a Stinger as well. I was really drawn to it but when she who must be obeyed heard the price that was the end of that. Same when I went to look at a 2023 Ford Escape "Vignale"... Her exact words, "It's a car for heaven's sake! We just want a reliable trolley with all the nice safety bits. I know you want some go faster stuff so I'm buying the SP 25!!!" Woes me! :) At least she let me keep the VF wagon. I would have laid down in the path of the car if she tried to sell my baby away from me!!!
Thanks for your wise words of wisdom. Much appreciated.