Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

buying HID kit... need advice!

spikeyboi

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs calais supercharged

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Oh boy.....
This topic hasn't come up for a while.

I think you didn't get any replies, because virtually no-one here likes them that much.
People tend to go for the conventional halogen type, like the Phillips X-tremeVision +100%, or the Diamond vision.

It's illegal to run HID's in standard (Factory) housings, as the glare from the HID's is a danger to on coming traffic.
As far as I know, they can ONLY be legally fitted in self leveling, projector style housings.
But you've got them now, so......

But you are in SA and I'm in Vic, so at least I'm ok.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
If you are in SA, and plan to run HID's in non projector headlights......make sure you carry plenty of lube in the glovebox for when you get spotted by the authorities.

And watch out for people like me who drive on dark freeways at night and get blinded by idiots who have HID's in old headlights that can't angle them properly....they usually cop a bit of abuse ;P

spikeyboi

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs calais supercharged
Yeah well ima try to angle down as much as possible, might just run low beams

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Yeah well ima try to angle down as much as possible, might just run low beams
If you angle them down too much, then what's the point in having them.

I'd put them in high beam. That way, you would dip them (like the halogen ones) before they become a problem for other drivers.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
If you angle them down too much, then what's the point in having them.

Exactly, but some people have this crazy idea in their head that new HID's in an old car like a VR/VS looks good regardless of the practicality.

IMHO the only lights that look good in a VR/VS is the standard yellow halogen globes

Trying to make an old car look newer just makes the car look stupid.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
But I have HID's in my 1989 Rangie....I also have projector housings with angel eyes.....my car doesn't look stoopid...

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
But I have HID's in my 1989 Rangie....I also have projector housings with angel eyes.....my car doesn't look stoopid...

On some cars it works quite well (I assume they would work well in the bush at night on the rangie too)....on old commodores...it just looks crap.

When P platers do it to their VR/VS to make them look newer it makes me lol and pisses everyone they drive past off.

With the VR/VS headlights there is no amount of angle work you can do to get it to work properly, you will just end up blinding absolutely everyone.