Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

buying HID kit... need advice!

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Her arse was red when I finished also...

Tribble

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series 2 V6 ute
^ not meaning to start a debate here but you do know that the 6000K 8000K etc is reffering to the colour *temperature of the lights? not the brightness.

I have HID's in my Vn, never had a problem when it was on the road. had them in both my driving lights and headlights. I also have them in my daily pajero and never have a problem either. set up correctly they arent as bad as people portray them. I wont have a car without putting HID from now on.

I used Kelvin instead of Lumens because we are not discussing the amount of visible light, but I guess you understood that.
Because most peoples objection to HID lights stem from the glare factor. I used colour as the reference point, I did say 8000k (Blue HID) but I guess you missed that part.

But hey, if you seriously think installing lights with a colour temperature higher than a FLASH makes you see better and doesn't effect other drivers, I hope you drive in the wet and can't see the pavement. Then again, you do drive a Pajero (Spanish Colloquialism)
Could be worse, you could drive a Laputa ( La Puta )

I never have a problem with spot lights in the bush either, maybe because I am BEHIND the light?
Going by your logic, everyone should be able to drive around with four spot lights on, as they can see better and don't have any problem using them that way.
Tell you what, go squat in front of your car lights and look into them when they are on, if your vision doesn't change when you look away or you can't stand the light for a few seconds .... it's too bright.

Here is a read I just found that should explain what I was saying better.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
The light output of HID's is weird. It's almost like they're not there. I usually drive around with my high's on at night so the halogens override the paleness of the HID (kit fitted by previous owner, before roady)

moodybluebob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore.
I used Kelvin instead of Lumens because we are not discussing the amount of visible light, but I guess you understood that.
Because most peoples objection to HID lights stem from the glare factor. I used colour as the reference point, I did say 8000k (Blue HID) but I guess you missed that part.

But hey, if you seriously think installing lights with a colour temperature higher than a FLASH makes you see better and doesn't effect other drivers, I hope you drive in the wet and can't see the pavement. Then again, you do drive a Pajero (Spanish Colloquialism)
Could be worse, you could drive a Laputa ( La Puta )

I never have a problem with spot lights in the bush either, maybe because I am BEHIND the light?
Going by your logic, everyone should be able to drive around with four spot lights on, as they can see better and don't have any problem using them that way.
Tell you what, go squat in front of your car lights and look into them when they are on, if your vision doesn't change when you look away or you can't stand the light for a few seconds .... it's too bright.

Here is a read I just found that should explain what I was saying better.

Yeah righto, no need to get personal here. Just thought i'd share my input for OP.

For what it's worth, you could have a 4300k light shining in your face and a 8000k light shining in your face. Both will hurt your eyes.

No point going further as ill just get called a wanker. I realise now why i left this forum.

Tribble

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series 2 V6 ute
Yeah righto, no need to get personal here. Just thought i'd share my input for OP.

For what it's worth, you could have a 4300k light shining in your face and a 8000k light shining in your face. Both will hurt your eyes.

No point going further as ill just get called a wanker. I realise now why i left this forum.

Referring back to UNECE Regulation No. 48 (ADR 13/00), the definition of "white" is given in paragraph 2.29.1 and the extent of further restrictions placed on gas-discharge bulbs is given in UNECE Regulation No. 99 (ADR 78/00), Annex 4, paragraph 10.

It all basically means the colour temperature should be 4100 K, with a tolerance of between 3500 K and 5000 K.

Chances are most people have illegal lights, and that is what annoys other road users.
This is also why I was talking about colour temperature, not lumens.
Each state have slightly different laws, but all must comply with the ADR13/00 Regulations.

Example:
HID headlight conversions are not permitted under Qld legislation.

Check your own State, but in most cases, they will be illegal regardless of how you fit them.

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
So you are not in fact arguing that HID's are bad, but the higher colour range HID's are bad.

I agree with this.

I would also suggest your analogy about kneeling down and looking at a HID light would give you the same result of looking at a halogen.

I was working on my FTO with a friend and he thought it was funny to turn to lights on when I was in front of them, to me it was the same as looking at any other headlight, he was actually quite disappointed that I wasn't blinded by it.

Tribble

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series 2 V6 ute
So you are not in fact arguing that HID's are bad, but the higher colour range HID's are bad.

I agree with this.

Stock HIDs on new cars have a colour temp MAX of 4300k for safety issues, I've never been blinded by a new BMW.

I would also suggest your analogy about kneeling down and looking at a HID light would give you the same result of looking at a halogen.

I was working on my FTO with a friend and he thought it was funny to turn to lights on when I was in front of them, to me it was the same as looking at any other headlight, he was actually quite disappointed that I wasn't blinded by it.

Most HIDs I have seen on the road scatter far too much, it's as though they are driving with their High Beams on.

I suggest a test for you and your friend to see what I mean:

Take your car and another car without HIDs. place them side by side, one at a time turn on your lights, on the second car, look at how the dispersal pattern on his High Beams are the same as your low beams and you will see why other drivers are getting blinded. (The downside of ARCs in non-factory fitted HIDs)

Another issue is, because your lights are so bright and they are very close to you, your pupils dilate because of the brightness and that will effect your vision distance, sure it may appear to you that everything is brighter and you can see further, but you can't, you've been fooled by the bright lights to think you have better vision. There simply is no reason to have such bright lights and in the rain if your colour temp is too high, the light will just scatter making your ability to see more difficult.

Some states I think only allow HIDs for high beams for this reason.
The U.S. U.K and most of Europe ban aftermarket HIDs for a reason, I can't believe Australia is NOT the backwards country :p

WhiteOx

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS II Acclaim
Another issue is, because your lights are so bright and they are very close to you, your pupils dilate because of the brightness
Lol........... Bright light makes your pupils constrict. ;)
Dilate means, become larger, widen, expand.