Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bypassing the Cat converter

VZ_SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
HAHA she's getting ripped if she pays that for "a cat" and second hand at that. You must be taking the piss mate, I paid $2000 for a complete stainless system on my VZ. Maybe ring a proper exhuast shop...

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
just throw in a straight pipe, i've done it before on our old VY SS wagons we had (also in NZ) wouldn't cost more than $150, plus you shouldn't have to do anything to the O2 sensors but there is another sensor maybe exhaust temp sensor, if you tack the probe onto the pipe it goes off, sounds hoary as but its really not, all our new HSV and Holdens have the cats taken out before delivery.

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
HAHA she's getting ripped if she pays that for "a cat" and second hand at that. You must be taking the piss mate, I paid $2000 for a complete stainless system on my VZ. Maybe ring a proper exhuast shop...

Doesn't mean he is taking the piss, it just means some stooge is trying to rip his friend off.

Kal123

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 && 180sx
Jesus that's ripe!! I was just quoted $700 for installation of brand new high flow cats..

Your getting ripped, tell them to stick it, and go to your local Exhaust Shop..

Last edited:

VZ_SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
Doesn't mean he is taking the piss, it just means some stooge is trying to rip his friend off.

Sorry, that was a bit harsh, i just cant believe that price, its crazy. Definatly go somewhere else mate.

kerrin

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY Acclaim Series II
just throw in a straight pipe, i've done it before on our old VY SS wagons we had (also in NZ) wouldn't cost more than $150, plus you shouldn't have to do anything to the O2 sensors but there is another sensor maybe exhaust temp sensor, if you tack the probe onto the pipe it goes off, sounds hoary as but its really not, all our new HSV and Holdens have the cats taken out before delivery.

VY's have 2x sensors before the cats, VZ's have 4x sensors two before and two after the cats.

I've removed the cats on my VY for the same reason. I was quoted $500(nz) each to replace them.

I've been told the second sensors will play up on a VZ.

jaisvz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VZ SV6
A few people have mentioned "oh i have taken my cats of my vs/vp/vy etc. with no problems"
Bear in mind that a removing an Alloytecs catalytic converters maybe be as simple as cut cut weld weld,
but the computer is MUCH more complex than its predecessor and may present problems with the o2 sensors.