Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cadillac Catera 3800 Swap

njbrain

Reaction score
Members Ride
Catera
Hi all,

I am from the US, so we don't have the Holden over hear, but we do have the Catera.

I have a 1997 Catera that has the piece of junk 3.0v6, and I want to swap it to a 3800 series II. I know that it is possible, and that I will need the Holden PCM, Oil pan, and Exhaust manifolds. I just don't know much about Commodore's, or what line of Commodore is most like my Cadillac. I am just looking for pointers to get going.

Thanks a lot.

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
from what i understand, you need to source parts off a vn series 2 to vr, which is 1990 to 1995 model commodores.

correct me if im wrong if anyone knows more.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I think the Catera was a front wheel drive, wasn't it? And the Holden 3800 was adapted from front wheel drive application in the US. As far as I am aware, it hasn't been used Stateside in a RWD configuration for many years and adapting the engine to the Holden RWD platform required quite a few modifications.

Therefore, it might be easier to find a FWD US model with the old Buick 3800 over there and adapt it to the Catera, rather than trying to import a Holden motor and then adapt it to the Catera.

njbrain

Reaction score
Members Ride
Catera
I guess will each other in on our own country's cars.;) The Catera is a RWD car, that is actually an Opel Omega, so it share's the same chassis as a Commodore. This article here cleared some things up for me. Holden Commodore - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia But yes, The 3800 Series II was used in the Chevrolet Camaro, and the Pontiac Firebird. I have found and engine and transmission for $600usd. I think that is a pretty good deal. Thanks guys! I really appreciate being welcomed to your great site without owning a Commodore!
Noah

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I guess will each other in on our own country's cars.;) The Catera is a RWD car, that is actually an Opel Omega, so it share's the same chassis as a Commodore. This article here cleared some things up for me. Holden Commodore - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia But yes, The 3800 Series II was used in the Chevrolet Camaro, and the Pontiac Firebird. I have found and engine and transmission for $600usd. I think that is a pretty good deal. Thanks guys! I really appreciate being welcomed to your great site without owning a Commodore!
Noah

Noah

Sorry, I was sure the Catera was fwd but on reflection, I seem to remember brief details of it from Motor Trend some years ago. Can you post a pic? I have a vague recollection that there would be some similarity between it and the VT Commodore and they share the same doors and basic platform.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
There's an interesting detail in the Wikipedia reference given above. At the end of the article is a time line for the various Holden models since 1980. "Midsize" already has the Insignia pencilled in for a 2009 release.

Hope it's right - the Epica is hopeless.

adam69

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Clubby
Here are some pics

Attachments

• catera front.jpg
    catera front.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 2,756
  • catera rear.jpg
    catera rear.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 1,044
  • catera.jpg
    catera.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 465

DaggaZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
Looks diffrent... Its like a VS/VT mushed together.

steering wheel is on the wrong side :p

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
first off what state in america are you in and what emmision laws are you going to have to be able to pass this will dictate to some degree what ecu you are going to use there are a lot of choices of ecu you could run the early vn-vr map based ecu or if emmisions are a problem youre probably going to need the later vs-vt stuff.