Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

CAI+K&N+Sport Exhaust=more fuel usage?

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
my vr exec auto has cai+k&n + 2 1/2" zort and its mid 10's on my trip computer. i get nearly 500km out of a tank (when i fill up i get just under 600 on the trip computer but dies down quickly :( )

mine was up pretty high and neva went below 13lts/100km , got oxy sensor replaced, cleaned throttle body iac valve etc, replaced nearly every sensor, and got my muffler replaced (had a crack in it) and now its hard to see the 13 again. (around town)

Haze

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
im pretty sure CAI does normally increase fuel usage. but the K&N i doubt

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
The real reason behind increased fuel consumption is your right foot - if I had all those mods I'd sure be putting the pedal down a bit to feel the extra power and I'd expect a increase in consumption until the novelty wore off (or I lost my license).

Haze

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
lol very true.
but with CAI and K&N you cant feel a different i'd assume that the sports exhaust would be the only thing to add any noticeable Kw

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Heh yeah that's pretty much why mine is up at 13/100. Right foot syndrome... lift it about an inch maybe and it'll be good.

Considering the thrashing I've given it the last couple of days... I'm surprised it's that low.

Murdoch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Wagoon
My economy is alot better than what most you guys are seeing!.
My mods (as per my signature) return average 8.5-9 L/100 city driving ,unless my odometer is out, but i doubt it is.
Freeway is in the 7 L/100.
Only thing extra i have done is earth the o2 sensors at the ECU. I also bought a new fuel regulator, both helped.
I don't drive like a granny either, im keeping up with traffic and am smart with gear changes.

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
yeh u got really good eco cos urs is a manual, autos burn more fuel than manual especially in traffic, i think my fuel reg needs changing, when i changed my fuel pump i noticed big difference in fuel usage much better than b4.

Murdoch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Wagoon
Jamie_87 said:
yeh u got really good eco cos urs is a manual, autos burn more fuel than manual especially in traffic, i think my fuel reg needs changing, when i changed my fuel pump i noticed big difference in fuel usage much better than b4.

True, bless the manual.
If you take the vacuum line off the fuel reg and have any hint of petrol smell, change it. It does help alot changing it if it is stuffed.

Back to the orignal question.
I would disconnect the battery for a good few hours to reset the computer to be honest.
But looking at other responses in this thread, you are seeing average fuel consumption with your mods for a VS. Nothing to write home about.
But there are guys with worse.

Crabito

Reaction score
Website
s4.invisionfree.com
Members Ride
VE SS 2009 V8
I get avg 450 km out of a tank
Its less if I drive it like I stole it

CAI + pacemakers + redback exhaust + power chip

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
And no matter what, the VS was and is the most economical six cylinder family car of the 20th Century. The reason why it is called a family car is because a lot of families have their beginnings in a Commodore VS. Long live shotgun weddings.