Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

CAI+K&N+Sport Exhaust=more fuel usage?

VL Soldier

The rims maketh the ride!
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
'87 VL Exec & '95 VS Berlina
I get around 11l/100ks in the city and around 7.5 in country driving. I put a CAI on over Easter and I reckon it chews up more fuel. Before that I was getting low 7l/100ks on the fuel inst display when freeway driving and now it's mid to upper 7s! Most of the time it's around 8!

VLishes

BaZMeG
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais SII
most of the time I take it easy, I already have dropped nearly a 1/4 tank since yesterday morning.

Infus10n

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Captiva (Work Demo)
im getting about 17L/100km bahahah :p

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Haha nice work.. love that right foot action :p

97 SEN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS HSV SENATOR
Just as a comparison i get about 14L/100 in the city and 10.5 on the highway and typically 600 out af the tank (70L) i don't think thats too bad for my car its not the lightest thing around and its an auto.

mind you if i want to over use the right foot all the time in traffic it'll jump up to >20L/ 100k in no time.

VLishes

BaZMeG
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais SII
I went to Anglesea from Melb which I think is around 150-200k's and it was hovering around 12.5-13L/100, it doesn't seem to budge at all now, something must be not right.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Just wondering how everyone is measuring their fuel usage. Some people measure it inaccuratly and think they get terrible fuel usage. I have a fool-proof method. Its nothing special but it is spot on.

Just incase anyone is interested i started this page a few weeks ago monitoring my fuel usage while implementing different mods.

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/showthread.php?t=25688

I own a VR acclaim so i have the non ecotec engine, and am surprised when i hear all these VS ecotec engines getting worse economy (some do get better though).

I checked fuel usage before and after K&N filter and after cleaning throttle body - with no noticable results. But last week I changed my oil from magnatec to GTX2 (thicker oil for the older engine) as well as a new oil filter. And the fuel usage dropped quite a bit. I will have to go another week to confirm that it wasnt a once off, but my fuel dropped from roughly 11.5l/100km to 10.8l/100km.

Infus10n

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Captiva (Work Demo)
kopper69 said:
Just wondering how everyone is measuring their fuel usage. Some people measure it inaccuratly and think they get terrible fuel usage. I have a fool-proof method. Its nothing special but it is spot on.

Just incase anyone is interested i started this page a few weeks ago monitoring my fuel usage while implementing different mods.

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/showthread.php?t=25688

I own a VR acclaim so i have the non ecotec engine, and am surprised when i hear all these VS ecotec engines getting worse economy (some do get better though).

I checked fuel usage before and after K&N filter and after cleaning throttle body - with no noticable results. But last week I changed my oil from magnatec to GTX2 (thicker oil for the older engine) as well as a new oil filter. And the fuel usage dropped quite a bit. I will have to go another week to confirm that it wasnt a once off, but my fuel dropped from roughly 11.5l/100km to 10.8l/100km.

Mine tells me on my level 3 cluster :D

16.5L/100km

but thats giving it a fairly hard time aswell.... manual v8 its too hard not too :p

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
12.5 - 13 for the city is good, what's the problem ? it won't get better.

On the highway do you go over 100 ? then Don't, doing 110 will use 25% more fuel than doing 90 -95 kmph will.

Revise driving habits, remove the heavy right foot ?

My wagon gets about 7lit/100km on a trip and anywhere around 10 - 13 in town depending on how fast I go and what mood I'm in, it's usually about the intelligent use of the right foot, it's OK to use the torque of the added power but not the power itself in rpm, more throttle / more rpm = more fuel.

BTW I use 15/50 full synthetic Nulon, the difference is right there !

Last edited: