Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Calais Horn

New2Holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V V6
My VZ calais definately had a rich twin horn sound which would wake the dead. This new VE Calais appears to ony have one horn and is so p#@s weak that even a sparrow flicks the middle finger at me. The opinions seems divided as to whether they should have one horn or two and as I am not about to take the front bumper off I will ask Holden when in for first service next week. Only problem is that I already can guess the answer (depending how many cars they have booked in for service that day)

PhantomVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV e2 Clubsport R8
It only takes 10-15 min to take the bumper off (when you know how) - think it took about 30 minutes the first time i looked. But i would be very suprised if you only have one horn. Keep us posted. My bet would be one of them is faulty. Interested to know the outcome though.
Cheers

vykeith

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Lumina 2007
My understanding is that the horns down at bumper level are the alarm and the "get out of the way ya mongrel" horn is up near the driver.
Keith.

Hunter SS

Growing Old Disgracefully
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS
My understanding is that the horns down at bumper level are the alarm and the "get out of the way ya mongrel" horn is up near the driver.
Keith.

i thought it was the other way around :unsure: i could be wrong though..... will have to look it up in the owners manual

PhantomVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV e2 Clubsport R8
Keith.

As i said before though, I tested my horns when by bumper was off just for fun. - disconnected passenger horn, tested, low tone. connected it, d/c the drivers side, tested, high tone. d/c both sides, tested no horn, connected both sides, beefy 'get outta the way ya mongrel' tone was back lol.

in regards to the alarm, it is just the horns beeping repeditively right?

vykeith

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Lumina 2007
It appears on my Lumina that the horn up near the driver does both jobs.
I have not had a chance to look behind the bumper but I presume I dont have them there.
When I first bought the car 18 months ago I added the second tone horn and it does sound a lot better.
Keith.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
Keith.

LOL the problem with the VE horn is that instead of a "get out of the way ya mongrel", it's more of a "umm excuse me can you please move along" ;)

New2Holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V V6
You all have me very curious so I disconnected the horn under the hood up near the driver. Tested the horn and no difference, still the gay sound as before. So, either the horn up near the driver is the second horn that is not working or the alarm. I guess I should have tested the alarm while I had it disconnected. I then put the car up on ramps and tried to look for horns behind the front bumper and could not see a thing. If Holden tell me the gay, limp d@%k horn is standard then I will get an auto electrician to install another. I notice AutoOne have plenty of different types and maybe I will go the air horns, if there is enough space in the engine room to fit them.

New2Holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V V6
Had the first service today and I guess there is no surprise that the service report states "...checked horn, found no fault". Not happy with that I asked for supervisor who politely, but obviously without knowledge of my particular complaint, explained "...it is a different horn system to the VZ and as such will sound different". OK, off to buy a set of air horns and will find a willing electrician to fit them for me (I am not confident in these matters)

vykeith

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Lumina 2007
For a better Horn.

You can buy a horn from Holden which is a different tone and sounds very good.
It's quite cheap, I bought it as an accessory and screwed it on, sounds lots better and louder. It is in addition to the existing one(s) but different tone.
Regards
Keith.