Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Removing HVAC to get to recirc door

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yes. I still miss it. We all do. Sometimes swear we see it. The fkn gearbox though. 5L40e. Boo.

Do love the new car (even though Hyundai have had it for two months figuring out random loss of power issues.)

The firewall with everything removed. Might help
View attachment 254257

Yes, that HVAC was disassembled 100%. Scrubbed with bleach. Then scrubbed with sugar soap. Then dishwashing liquid. Every seal done better than factory. New evap. New heater core. Then all plastics soaked in aerospace 303. Drain rubber lubed up with rubber grease.

View attachment 254254
Then much more was done as the can of worms opened up on me.

View attachment 254256
A large part of the car got an overhaul.
It was better than new.
All I can say is you're one brave man taking on a VE HAVAC replacement.

mtd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S1 Calais V V8
Was easy. They went in the boot.
;) Our boot was usually full holiday time camping, so kids went in the trailer. They had a bit of trouble seeing the roof-mounted DVD from there but the wireless headphones worked a treat. I really do think Family Services overreacted a bit - I mean all their toys were there!

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Trailer?

Luxury.
1689054064774.jpeg

When I say they were in boot, what I mean is they were tied to boot and had to run along side car.
No DVD. No. They were lucky to have a hand drawn picture to look at. Aye.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Ahhhh, and people ask me why I drive a ute? I have not been game to openly say, but I will say the tub does come in very handy and I don't hear children arguing.

mtd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S1 Calais V V8
Trailer?

Luxury.
View attachment 254277
When I say they were in boot, what I mean is they were tied to boot and had to run along side the car.
No DVD. No. They were lucky to have a hand drawn picture to look at. Aye.
Ok, you win for now ‘cause I’m still trying to get this F$$$ING HVAC out! B$stard seems to be stuck R/H side. Checked and re-checked all screws out. I wish I could find one I missed. Would be VERY happy to feel like an idiot…

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Ahhhh, and people ask me why I drive a ute? I have not been game to openly say, but I will say the tub does come in very handy and I don't hear children arguing.
No, wagons and sedans can't haul enough ammo... :cool:

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
What about the plastic clip over the top of the TXV. The whole top has a cover that clips down.

mtd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S1 Calais V V8
Ta. Yeah got that off.
Top near the pipes on R/H side is separating, bottom is not. Those 4 screws all definitely out. Thought some jiggling would separate it but to no avail. LHS seems free. Can’t seem to move it to the left to detach. Mmm, maybe try again tmrw, don’t want to break the bugger.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
No you don’t.
If you do, and it needs replacing, buy one from the wrecker. Overhaul it. Have it ready to go in when you take out the other one. You’ll have it done in a weekend or even a day easy.

mtd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S1 Calais V V8
No you don’t.
If you do, and it needs replacing, buy one from the wrecker. Overhaul it. Have it ready to go in when you take out the other one. You’ll have it done in a weekend or even a day easy.
Yeah that'd be nice and simple. Would be nice to KNOW that the system is clean and all good. You must of had that feeling.

Thing is, i'm probably missing something bloody obvious in front of me. That's why I left it tonight. Fresh eyes and all that.