Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Calais V Aggressive look

BLACK-VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SS, VE SS ute 360rwkws daily VE LPG
Hi All,

I have the '15 VF Calais V V8 and love it to bits.

I'm just wanting to enhance the look of the front view with a little more aggression in appearance and just wondering if others have done so it have some ideas.
Due to the incline of my driveway I am unable to lower the suspension.

I don't want to go the SS route as I enjoy the nice creature comforts of the Calais.
I also like the appeal of a sleeper so don't want to go over the top, just to enhance.

Any suggestions be greatly appreciated

blackout the chrome

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
blackout the chrome
I don't reckon all of it though, just certain parts; I reckon the big chunky thick chrome at the top of the grille could be happily blacked, but leave the bars of the grille itself chromed. Also, I'd black out the big piece of chrome in the foggy/driver recesses, but leave the thin piece as chrome.
Of course it depends on colour of the car itself, but I think it's nice to have a chrome highlight here & there, just not an in-your-face wall of it (what's the collective noun for chrome ... a "bling"?).

Wow, two posts before I finished this! :)

So to steal HoldenCalaisV's picture from above, just this:

Last edited:

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0 | 2013 VF Calais V V6 Wagon
I have a 2015 calais V, and I wanted a aggressive look whilst retaining the prestige look at same time.

Mine is phantom black.

I lowered mine so the guards just sit above the tyres, retained original wheels, but have a custom exhaust that has twin 3.5 inch tips in stainless up back each side. The lower stance with bigger tips give it that look in my opinion.

The note is equally important in my view. Too loud and it detracts from the prestige. I went with REX 4-1 headers with a manta 2.5 in quiet. Fits the bill nicely

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0 | 2013 VF Calais V V6 Wagon
The only other thing I had considered was changing the wheels.

I have now done 45k on the original tyres (amazing for me!) so when it comes time to change I may do a rim and tyre upgrade. Might do 20s, and think a gold wheel like a Simmons might look good with the black paint.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I have now done 45k on the original tyres (amazing for me!) so when it comes time to change I may do a rim and tyre upgrade. Might do 20s, and think a gold wheel like a Simmons might look good with the black paint.
Yours being black, I think you get away with more chrome than other people do; if you blacked out your chrome I think it would mean too much black, whereas if someone's got a bright colour they can afford to change the balance between chrome & black in the highlights.

Apart from Simmons being a little "played out", I don't know if I like the idea of adding another colour in your case, with the gold centres. Because gold & chrome kinda clash, and that gold in the wheel has nothing to really tie it to the car; but you can't add gold highlights to the car itself, or someone will think you're some tasteless wannabe oil sheik's distant third-cousin or something. :)
Obviously this is all just my opinion & it's up to you 'cos it's your car you gots to be happy with, but I think whatever wheel you add has to be neutral in colour, really a grey or a metallic from silver through to black. A bit of chrome or polished finish is fine, but only on edges or the rim itself.

warrick

Reaction score
Website
members.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VF 6.0 CALAIS V
i lowered and changed wheels and exhaust with mine but i think it still keeps the classy look. i think it looks a bit more european now.
cheers

wheels6-jpg.191672

wheels7-jpg.191673

BLACK-VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SS, VE SS ute 360rwkws daily VE LPG
I don't reckon all of it though, just certain parts; I reckon the big chunky thick chrome at the top of the grille could be happily blacked, but leave the bars of the grille itself chromed. Also, I'd black out the big piece of chrome in the foggy/driver recesses, but leave the thin piece as chrome.
Of course it depends on colour of the car itself, but I think it's nice to have a chrome highlight here & there, just not an in-your-face wall of it (what's the collective noun for chrome ... a "bling"?).

Wow, two posts before I finished this! :)

So to steal HoldenCalaisV's picture from above, just this:

Yep got to be carefull with black otherwise looks like a director which looks like a evoke

NN334

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V 6.0lt
The blackened chrome sounds the go to me.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
NSW slimline black background number plate if you don't already have one.
Black-out on a black car? No, it needs the chrome to provide some highlights. (my opinion) but Forg's idea looks good though.
Aggression ...... a V8supercar style 'HOLDEN' strip across the top of the windscreen. Probably illegal.

Front lip spoiler
Apart from the 'sports armour' lips, who would make that ? And if you know, pray tell, as I would like a HRT427 style lip spoiler on my Monaro.