Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What transmission in VFII Calais V (V6), and how much power can these take?

Alpha_

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Commodore Olympic Edition, saving up for a V8
Hi guys, so I just want to know what transmission is in the VFII Calais V with the LFX V6 (MY17)?
Is it the 6L45E or the 6L50E?
What's the difference between the two, and how much power could both handle?
Thanks

NJD-1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF-S2 SV6 Commodore
All VF V6’s use the 6L45e transmission

The boxes are very similar, but the 45e weighs over 10kg less than the 50e (Weight reduction was the main goal of VF)

As such it’s rated for less torque, 350Nm at the engine vs 450Nm, and a gearbox torque of 550Nm vs 650nm or so on the 50e.

Those specs come from GM authority, and take it somewhat with a grain of salt cause I’ve seen ALOT of varying info about it

I’m assuming you’re looking to get more power out of you Engine?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I’m assuming you’re looking to get more power out of you Engine?
Yeah maybe a bit more background info?

For example ...
Is the engine staying in a VF or is it for a completely VF-unrelated project?
What's the budget (roughly)?
Are we talking the standard-ish stuff like intake/exhaust/tune? Cams?
Are we thinking supercharger or turbo?

NJD-1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF-S2 SV6 Commodore

For example ...

Yep, exactly

Seeing those questions get asked repeatedly in a Facebook SV6 group, I normally reply with the idea of if you don't first spend money putting an LSD in, then sorting your tires what's the point? Just be spinning all the extra power away through one wheel for some good old one tire fire

Alpha_

Reaction score
Members Ride

For example ...
It's staying in a VF, maybe thinking around spending 15k, probably a twin turbo kit honestly, and all the standard stuff, intake, tune and exhaust
Although I haven't really found any nice sounding LFX exhausts which makes me sad, I really like the LFX V6 engine out of all of the V6 Holden engines, obviously it doesn't hold a candle to an LS3 though.

Alpha_

Reaction score
Members Ride
I should also add that this is my dad's car (ex-Holden employee), and we were thinking of potentially putting the LS3 in it, as his car has only done 30,000 km, he bought it with 20,000 on it, I think it was near 22,000 km, and an LS3 Calais with the same KM is around $60k
Either that or getting a twin turbo kit

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
The info NJD-1992 posted says that turbo(s) will punish that transmission pretty heavily. 350Nm wouldn't be much above standard, exhaust/intake/tune even cams would likely be OK but unless GM are WAY under-quoting torque capacity I think you'll need to get the gearbox beefed up ... in fact you'd be very likely to go over that 450Nm 50e limit with turbo.

NJD-1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF-S2 SV6 Commodore
So in the turbo instance, before all else, you NEED to put an LSD in it

There is no point spending all that money, and spinning it all away through one wheel. As mentioned I don't guarantee the figures from GMAuthority, but a twin turbo is almost certainly going to at some point cause a rapid, unscheduled, disassembly of the box.

V8 swapping is an option, but again you'll be up for big coin, and in essence will always be a "hack" job (Not that is necessarily a bad thing, but it isn't an easy process) Places like GC cars Nerang offer the roll in roll out service, but they are minimum 15K

I think in some instances they don't even change the tail shaft to a V8 one (But maybe it was an option not taken up) but if thats the main service, instant no go from me, and its the same with the brakes. Don't know if they upgrade the brakes too

The final one you'll be potentially in the cross hairs for, is engineering compliance (Which will not be cheap) and the likely hammer blow, insurance.

Assuming you are younger, most insurance companies will here "Twin Turbo Kit", "Commodore" and under 25 as an example and will likely give you their "Get lost price" (Not saying thats your case, but be prepared for it)

As per your Bio, leave the Calais alone. Treat it well, learn all the ins and outs, maintain it and keep it as a comfortable daily drive. And save for an SS and avoid the hassle.