Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cam Actuator fault code

Holdentryagnoser

Reaction score
Members Ride
Standard VY supercharged v6 commodore
Hey guys,
Have a VE S1 (06) she's been throwing codes relating to the OCV valves, or the camshaft position actuator solenoids.
I have replaced the solenoids on both banks but still throwing the same codes.
What powers them?
I have bench tested them, they work fine, but seem to not work in the car.
Could the solenoids be fine, and the sensors next to them be buggered, causing my fault? If not, then to me it seems theyre not getting power.
Any help with this would be awesome

Cheers IA

degeneration

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE sportwagon
Have you checked the actual valves themselves? They might be clogged, disconnected etc etc...........

Holdentryagnoser

Reaction score
Members Ride
Have you checked the actual valves themselves? They might be clogged, disconnected etc etc...........
Hey man, cheers for the reply, yes have had them out, cleaned and bench tested for operation, they worked fine. I purchased a couple of new ones, but still getting same codes, with them in

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Timing chains on the way out?

Holdentryagnoser

Reaction score
Members Ride
Timing chains on the way out?
Ok, that could be very likely. I am trying to avoid thinking about that yet as costly mistake if it still doesn't fix the issue. I believe most VEs give specific codes relating to the chains, where as the codes I'm getting up are telling me specifically the cam actuators. For another test, I had the car running, and unplugged each one separately to see if there was a difference in idle, and no change. I would of expected there to be a noticable difference. And that's what has bought me to the thought that perhaps they aren't actuating (not getting any signal/power). But as I have mentioned earlier, they bench test fine, can feel and here the actuation. So kinda lost. Apart from the light and codes, she runs all good, has a slight miss at idle, and has threatened to stall on maybe 3 occasions in the 2yrs I've had it.

Just for a note: it had a siht service life before I got it, it's an auto and I have a spare ECU for it too (I thought it maybe an issue with the ECU so I bought a 2nd hand test one to try, but heard that was a bas tard of a way to go about things so it's just sat in the shed)

Cheers

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
What are the actual code numbers you are getting?

degeneration

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE sportwagon
So you swapped aout the valves and still got the code, have you got volts at the connector?