Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

cam experience

Jayking851

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 vx ss
any one had any experience with crow cam custom grind 228/240 cam?

cheers in advance

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Maybe you should post specifically what you want to know.

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
stay away from crow

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
Why stay away from Crow?? Interested to know your reasons.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Nothing wrong with crow. One persons bad experience with a company shouldn't mean that you shouldn't purchase from them.

You need to speak to a cam company/grinder. They will be able to tell you what will work with your motor. Make sure you tell them everything about your motor including intake manifold, compression, diff gears, trans (torque converter type if auto), exhaust, fuel type etc.

Over the internet, you'll never be able to get exactly the info you want, it's all subjective.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
I haven't had any issues with Crow in the past either....they have been around for decades, if their products truly were terrible they wouldn't still be in business.

As said before, don't listen to just one persons disaster story as 99% of the time it's not the product thats at fault it's installer error or a coincidental mechanical failure.

As said above, you really need to speak to Crow (or crane) about what you actually want from the car, you want one that is suited to your engine setup, your driving style, what the car will be used for etc.

I see so many people with LS1's these days that just whack the most aggressive cam they can find in because they want to look/sound "hektic" cruising the city on a saturday night, and then complain about loss of drivability around town and loss of bottom end power (which is not what you want for a street car)

Last edited:

Jayking851

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 vx ss
Yeah cheers. For the help. I bought a cam and some other bits and pieces. Double row timing chain, springs, lifters, and push rods. Will I need to or should I replace bearings?
And also will I only need head gaskets and timing chain cover gaskets?

SS-REX

Reaction score
Members Ride
03-VY-SS-UTE
Head gasket? umm anyways i think you have to do some extra modding to make a double row timing set to fit someone correct me if i am wrong.