Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cam question l98

undy22

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VE V
Hi All,

A new engine has been installed in my Ve V Calais 6l l98 due to Lifter failure /eating cam.

all going well now :)

And in about 3-4 months I will be installing (once engine warranty is up)

MOREL TIE / LINK BAR LIFTERS
as shown in this link
Morel TIE Link BAR Lifters Street 5290 LS1 LS2 L98 LS3 V8 VT VX VY VZ VE V8 | eBay

to make sure the lifters do not fail in this one.

Now my mechanic has said why he is at it may as well put an after market cam shaft in "VCM 21" that sounds good to me as well. lol :)
here is the question

Can a cam like VCM 21 Cam work with standard exhaust system /cats /extractors Until i get the $ for a full system (I know this will require a tune)
the only thing that is not stock about the current system is the straight pipes out the back for more noise until " a full system. in maybe 6 months or so

I assumption is it would but I thought I'll ask the question.

Thanks

christov

RFFN RFFR
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, BMW M4 Coupe, Harley V-Rod
Yes it will work, but far from optimally. Given that you will obviously be needing a tune at the same time, you may as well fork out for a full exhaust - even a second hand HSV one would suffice if you're on a tight budget.

The main problem is your headers, the stock cast iron manifold is not great at scavenging. With the new camshaft scavenging efficiently will become even more important. HSV headers can be picked up for circa $250 on eBay, or from most exhausts shops who will have them lying around. HSV headers will scavenge much better, and probably well enough for the VCM 21.

Good luck!

Last edited:

undy22

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VE V
Yes it will work, but far from optimally. Given that you will obviously be needing a tune at the same time, you may as well fork out for a full exhaust - even a second hand HSV one would suffice if you're on a tight budget.

The main problem is your headers, the stock cast iron manifold is not great at scavenging. With the new camshaft scavenging efficiently will become even more important. HSV headers can be picked up for circa $250 on eBay, or from most exhausts shops who will have them lying around. HSV headers will scavenge much better, and probably well enough for the VCM 21.

Good luck!

ok Thanks :)

Sounds like a little more saving for a full system then lol :)

Was thinking of
https://www.bestmufflers.com/bshop/...=4406&osCsid=7cee51d5703d0f89bdbade1f48d7ce7f

or

VE V8 Holden Commodore HSV Xforce Twin 3" CAT Back Exhaust Hotdog Loud Sedan | eBay

with

1 7 8 Xforce Matt Stainless Extractors Cats Commodore V8 VE Sedan X Force Header | eBay

christov

RFFN RFFR
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, BMW M4 Coupe, Harley V-Rod
No problem, my suggestion based on my experience with exhausts is you pay for what you get.

The hurricane system is quite good from what I've heard, X-Force is just ****.

With the VCM 21 you probably don't need 1 & 7/8" headers but up to you.

I would recommend either a full Difilippo system or Hurricane 4 into 1s with a Manta catback. 2.5" is sufficient but 3" with the bigger cam won't do you any harm, will just attract more attention from the jacks.

For reference the Difilippo system would set you back about $3500-4500 depending on size and options (HPC coating and Bi-modal), these are the best sounding and minimal drone IMO. Manta with Hurricane headers about $2500 delivered - also sounds great with not much drone.