Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

cam seem alright?

madsav

Reaction score
Members Ride
your ass
lol clutch should be all mate got a Exedy HD clutch put in about 2 months ago. But as for a cam i think i might have found what im looking for
(Street Racer - Duration 232/234 @ 050 - Power Range 2300-6700 rpm) Thats from GM motorsport heres a link to the 2 clips i found
Camshaft Package LS1 - 5.7lt - GM Motorsport

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I know little about modern cams, but I know enough to know that buying one randomly from ebay isnt the go. I'd speak to several experts at various speed shops, telling them what you have and what you want to achieve, and get them to make recommendations.

Once you have arrived at a decision, including the brand of cam, then if you get lucky and find the exact cam you want, brand name and all, on ebay by all means go for it. Otherwise, shop around. Just get some real expert advice first, so you know what to shop for.

I am thinking most experts will recommend you change more than just the cam too, if you want to get any real benefit out of it.

This is the extra stuff they added to the motor in the package you are looking at, pasted from their webpage...

To this LS1 - 5.7lt VX SS Sedan, we fitted a GMM TM Camshaft, 3200 Hi-Stall, Higgins CNC Heads, Tie Bar Lifters, HD Valve Springs, HD Pushrods, 84mm Throttle Body, Ramjet Cold Air Intake, Di Filippo 1 3/4" Headers, Di Filippo 2 1/2" Hi Flow Cats, Cat Back System... We then full custom tuned it for a result of 306 rwkw in an Automatic... Low 11's all day down the 1/4 mile.

johnno010684

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport M6, Subaru Brumby-daily, TM Magna
I know little about modern cams[/I]
hes not randomly buying one from ebay, thats why hes asking on here, and your giving advice when you know nothing about modern cams?? any cam that you are going to put in yourself is at best an estimated guess as to what you want.. unless you have access to all the cars with different cams in them, and you have a nice enough owner to let you drive their car. it took me months trying to find a cam right for my street car and thats why i went for a 222/224 @ 112 lsa because its a bit more street friendly than higher ratio cams and i very rarely get above the 5000rpm mark. at a bare minimum you have to change springs, retainers, timing chain and cam, but when the kits come with all the other stuff why not. not having a crack mate but i got sick of people giving me advice when they new NOTHING but stuff they had heard on here and it slightly gets changed everytime they pass it on.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
and your giving advice when you know nothing about modern cams??

Yep, I know nothing. I didn't advise on anything I know nothing about.. I advised to ask a few genuine experts.

any cam that you are going to put in yourself is at best an estimated guess as to what you want.. unless you have access to all the cars with different cams in them, and you have a nice enough owner to let you drive their car.

Not true. He needs to ask a genuine expert and more than one of them. They have already tried all the combos, they know what works well together and what other stuff is advisable to add.

at a bare minimum you have to change springs, retainers, timing chain and cam, but when the kits come with all the other stuff why not

The kit he posted doesnt have a lot of that, and he hasnt mentioned it. If he isnt told, he wont know. As above, ask an expert.

Just because you have had success with your cam and engine combo does not make you an expert either. The same applies to most people on this forum. Most are just opinionated people with limited experience in some fields that makes them think they are an expert. I've even been guilty of the same thing myself at times, though at least I usually try to qualify that with "I'm no expert but this is my opinion".

I've made no such claims here. My advice was just this "I'd speak to several experts at various speed shops, telling them what you have and what you want to achieve, and get them to make recommendations." I challenge you to prove thats bad advice.

Thanks for your input though :)

Last edited:

madsav

Reaction score
Members Ride
your ass
hes not randomly buying one from ebay, thats why hes asking on here, and your giving advice when you know nothing about modern cams?? any cam that you are going to put in yourself is at best an estimated guess as to what you want.. unless you have access to all the cars with different cams in them, and you have a nice enough owner to let you drive their car. it took me months trying to find a cam right for my street car and thats why i went for a 222/224 @ 112 lsa because its a bit more street friendly than higher ratio cams and i very rarely get above the 5000rpm mark. at a bare minimum you have to change springs, retainers, timing chain and cam, but when the kits come with all the other stuff why not. not having a crack mate but i got sick of people giving me advice when they new NOTHING but stuff they had heard on here and it slightly gets changed everytime they pass it on.

Thats about the same with me mate, i would hardly get to 5000rpm.well with there being so many police about and the fines are really big now days lol

madsav

Reaction score
Members Ride
your ass
Well after tlking to the guys from Gentech in canberra, im told i shouldent bother caming the motor with 230,000k`s on itwas told waste of money. he said i should look into replacing the motor with a VY 5.7 with less then 150,000`ks and then talk to him about a cam. but i did get some info he said a 230/230 cam would do the job i want

madsav

Reaction score
Members Ride
your ass
so i can get a vy motor for $2000, take it to Gentech cam put in etc $4200 total $6200. seems abit outta my price range now :(

johnno010684

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport M6, Subaru Brumby-daily, TM Magna
Well after tlking to the guys from Gentech in canberra, im told i shouldent bother caming the motor with 230,000k`s on itwas told waste of money. he said i should look into replacing the motor with a VY 5.7 with less then 150,000`ks and then talk to him about a cam. but i did get some info he said a 230/230 cam would do the job i want
thats what i got told by a few tuners aswell, mine has 200,000km. in my opinion if your motor has been treated well and has no "bad rattles/noises" and has been regularly serviced i dont see the problem.

matqld

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt/vx ls1
Hey not sure on how the cam progress is goin but my 2 bob is, try texas speed in states, they do you a cheap as deal for there grind, if your doing it on the cheap, id get cam, n beehive springs, do it yourself, also i got a comp 224-228 112 lsa in mine with auto, stock converter doesnt push to bad down low with a good tune, and its operating range starts round 2g so, in a manual that would still work ok and a good tune would get you a acceptable idle n your feet will work the rest out.
BUt 230 000 k's id seriously be looking at throwing some new rod bearings in, the main bearings last for a while but not the rod and cam bearings also your cam bearings at 200 000 will have a fair bit of wear already and putting a more agressive valvetrain in will only wear them quicker which will give you a oil pressure loss, and btw the rod bearings are the last bearings in the oil system to recieve oil so as the motor ages and wears ( oil pressure drops) and the engine wears out quicker, for eg, 230 000 motor driven easily prob last to 330 000 no probs, but 230 000 motor with cam put in being flogged um i give it 20-30 thousand k's and prob spin a rod bearing or something but i guess the more you get into it the more the snowball effect and before you know it you have rebuilt ya self a new motor lol good luck wish you all the best and believe me, cam, heads, otr,exhaust n tune is fun plus all worth it.! Btw if you source your parts right and find a good machine shop to fit cam bearings and machine hone block and you build the engine yourself you should be a able to complete rebuild a ls1 for just under a $1000.00 plus cam and springs = say total $1800 or less roughly for rebuilt motor with cam :p thats what i would do if i was you.

Last edited: