Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

camber kit question..

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
If you constantly tow with this car, I'd suggest getting some airbags fitted to the rear....This helps keep the rear end adjustments correct....by adding weight to the rear, the rear "squats" down, which effects camber and toe....Adding air to the bags, lifts the rear up, to where it normally sits, therefore preventing premature inner edge wear....

The cost is about $400 to $500 installed, but cheap compared to replacing tyres constantly

I am starting to look into options for setting my car up better for towing. I was going to raise it as it has FE2 suspension in it currently and the new float has a lot more weight in the front than the old one did.

What should I look for, I want to 1, raise it, 2 keep it handling like it currently does, 3 prevent premature inner edge tire wear as best I can.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
If you wish to keep it the same height and you're not currently experiencing inner edge wear, air bags would be logical choice.

Essentially, they're an air bag that fits inside the coil springs...You must have at least 10 PSI in them at all times, otherwise they will fail prematurely.

They're designed to push the back of the car up (similar to the old air shocks), to even out the rear height so it's level with the front. However a better design and more durable than air shocks.

So all that is needed once they're fitted is, measure the height of the car at the rear, prior to putting the float on...Once the float is on, pump the bags up until the height is the same as what it was, prior to fitting the float and away you go. The alignment settings are the same as it was before the float was fitted, therefore, no accelerated inner edge wear.

Alignments on cars are done, as the car sits on the road.....I have never aligned a car, nor heard of a car being aligned with a trailer of any form hanging off the back

It also allows you to keep the car handling the way it is, with the lower suspension fitted, if that's what you want.

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
Gloworm said and I agree with him, slot a VY cradle in. Use your original diff, install your lowered springs and shocks, problem solved. What sort of float are we talking about? You may have to find out what's legal and what's not. Weight wise. Isn't the gross load for the Commodore around 1500kg?
Not that I should talk too loud about legal. I towed a 24 foot car trailer with a 1200kg car on it from Batemans Bay to Sydney with a 1994 2 litre Ford Telstar. That was before I found out that there are gross load limits on what can be towed by cars. And the little car happily towed the whole lot up Bulli Pass. Some use of 1st gear was needed. I digress, VY cradle I think would solve the OP's problem

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Isn't there a 2100kg towing option for the Commodore?

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Isn't there a 2100kg towing option for the Commodore?

Yes, but that is basically just a good tow hitch assembly with extra bracing and bolts (and auto cooler).

Now as much as saying you can tow XXXXkg behind a car, you need the power up front to get yourself out of trouble (not just brakes and heavy duty springs).
Been there, done that, had a light 4 cyl car on a trailer once (trailer + car was less than the car towing with working brakes), hit some **** road down hill, trailer started to get the wobbles up (80 km/h), tried braking... bad ####ing idea... dropped back a gear and floored it, started to see some improvement over the car and trailer at a 45° angle in the rearview mirror... then it decided it was time to overtake, ended up doing a 180 with the trailer taking the lead until finally stopping.
If it wasn't for the raised embankment stopping us finally we would've been stopped by gum trees with trunks 1/3'd the overall size of the car.
Simply needed more grunt, #### towing 2 tonne with a 6 cylinder.

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I believe at that weight rating you need to have a braked trailer as well.

I was also under the impression that the 2100kg limit was also only recommend for the Automatic V8 models?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Yes, but that is basically just a good tow hitch assembly with extra bracing and bolts (and auto cooler).

Now as much as saying you can tow XXXXkg behind a car, you need the power up front to get yourself out of trouble (not just brakes and heavy duty springs).
Been there, done that, had a light 4 cyl car on a trailer once (trailer + car was less than the car towing with working brakes), hit some **** road down hill, trailer started to get the wobbles up (80 km/h), tried braking... bad ####ing idea... dropped back a gear and floored it, started to see some improvement over the car and trailer at a 45° angle in the rearview mirror... then it decided it was time to overtake, ended up doing a 180 with the trailer taking the lead until finally stopping.
If it wasn't for the raised embankment stopping us finally we would've been stopped by gum trees with trunks 1/3'd the overall size of the car.
Simply needed more grunt, #### towing 2 tonne with a 6 cylinder.

All I tow with is 6 cyls....Both auto and manual.....Towed a big block 63 phoenix with a 6 cyl auto car and didn't have any troubles.....Quite enjoyed passing cars doing 130 KPH with the car on the trailer...Trailer sat perfectly flat. So it's not about power....

Yes, trailers over a certain limit (unsure of the weight) need to be fitted with brakes.....Trailers also need to be well balanced, when a car is on them...Otherwise nasty **** will happen.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Any trailer used for car carrying should have brakes fitted.
Well i'd never had an issue before or since that wonderful night, was simply a **** road over the crest of a hill that i'd never driven on before, was under the limit due to roo's and there was no way out.
Can guarantee i wouldn't be here if i'd been belting along @ 100.
See to many ####wits towing, undersize vehicle dragging the arse end on the ground and front pointing at the sky or some twit on a mission around aus with a caravan crabwalking down the highway...