Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Camshaft Alignment Tools for 2006 VE

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Additional information,

I forgot to add,
If and when you go to install the cam locks, and they don’t slide straight on,
You will need to use a 3/4 or 19mm open ended spanner to jiggle the Cam into position then it/they will slide on.

Fluffy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Commodore Omega 3.6l
What are they going to charge you?
$83 plus $20 freight, I know if I hadn't been a slack bugger and arranged all this earlier, these things I could've bought from Mace Engineering or ebay for between $14 to $25. Maybe someone else will need a set one day and I can offer help. These will be in tomorrow for me to use Thursday.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lex

Fluffy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Additional information,

I forgot to add,
If and when you go to install the cam locks, and they don’t slide straight on,
You will need to use a 3/4 or 19mm open ended spanner to jiggle the Cam into position then it/they will slide on.
Good to know krusing, thankyou. Its all those little things that will hopefully help the job go as smooth as possible. I bought an oil pump today as well.

Fluffy

Reaction score
Members Ride
How does that work, if you are picking them up?
I know right, classed as a special order so I pay the freight from their warehouse as if its an online order. Its all good, I want it they have it. :)

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
$83 plus $20 freight, I know if I hadn't been a slack bugger and arranged all this earlier, these things I could've bought from Mace Engineering or ebay for between $14 to $25. Maybe someone else will need a set one day and I can offer help. These will be in tomorrow for me to use Thursday.

Believe me,
they will pay for themselves,
Save you time, and stress.

Fluffy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just adding to this post in case anyone ever looks for what I was after, I know its about camshaft alignment tools but the Job is complete, the VE series one timing chain replacement took my Dad and I two days to complete. We followed Mufudzi Gambiza' s 3 part post on you tube for a lot of the disassembly , even though the VE he was working on was a different year to mine, we backed up with a Gregory's manual for chain alignment and I guess whatever nouse and mechanical knowledge we had. The things that seamed to take time to me is figuring out how to unclip electricals and cleaning surfaces and parts, maybe a bit of finding, removing & replacing elusive hidden bolts like F%$@#ng treasure hoards, not mentioning names (aircon pump).
This task was illuminating and not always a pleasure to do but after starting up the engine this afternoon, I think it brought tears to my eyes. Its been on a few drives already and the check engine light that has been coming on for the last 5 years approx. (that's another story), has not come on.
So if anyone is determined to do this and a little like me, forget what you know about single timing chained engines and go for it, do your research and be prepared, I went out twice for bits, gasket goo and a good socket, ask advice (from knowledged persons) and consider it seriously.
It has cost $1365 in parts and consumables give or take a few $, to do it myself. You can do it cheaper if thats your goal by being organized and arrange parts weeks or months in advance if time permits. My expense was spent on timing chain kit 699, repair manual 45, oil pressure sensor/switch 140(I'm sure that's a genuine ripoff), radiator fluid 52, gasket goo 44, Toledo Cam tools were 103 from Repco you can get them cheaper online for 14 but these came in a fancy case woot woot, DO NOT EVEN BOTHER WITHOUT THEM, oil 80, oil pump 180, oil filter 14 and I bought (and recommend you buy) a good 10mm single hex socket, I thought it was about 8 bucks but it may have been discounted by one of the big tool shops ST or TT..
Any way, thankyou to the advice from you guys on this forum, specifically krusing about the water pump in a tip and replacing the oil pump, and Just Damo encouraging to check out other Repco stores for the Cam Locks or Cam Alignment tools. Cheers
Oh almost forgot, take pictures when you see something daunting or amazing as you pull the thing apart, there is never too many pics when you reassemble. :) Belts, top breather hoses.

Attachments

• Timing Cov 2.jpg
    Timing Cov 2.jpg
    391.1 KB · Views: 81

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Just adding to this post in case anyone ever looks for what I was after, I know its about camshaft alignment tools but the Job is complete, the VE series one timing chain replacement took my Dad and I two days to complete. We followed Mufudzi Gambiza' s 3 part post on you tube for a lot of the disassembly , even though the VE he was working on was a different year to mine, we backed up with a Gregory's manual for chain alignment and I guess whatever nouse and mechanical knowledge we had. The things that seamed to take time to me is figuring out how to unclip electricals and cleaning surfaces and parts, maybe a bit of finding, removing & replacing elusive hidden bolts like F%$@#ng treasure hoards, not mentioning names (aircon pump).
This task was illuminating and not always a pleasure to do but after starting up the engine this afternoon, I think it brought tears to my eyes. Its been on a few drives already and the check engine light that has been coming on for the last 5 years approx. (that's another story), has not come on.
So if anyone is determined to do this and a little like me, forget what you know about single timing chained engines and go for it, do your research and be prepared, I went out twice for bits, gasket goo and a good socket, ask advice (from knowledged persons) and consider it seriously.
It has cost $1365 in parts and consumables give or take a few $, to do it myself. You can do it cheaper if thats your goal by being organized and arrange parts weeks or months in advance if time permits. My expense was spent on timing chain kit 699, repair manual 45, oil pressure sensor/switch 140(I'm sure that's a genuine ripoff), radiator fluid 52, gasket goo 44, Toledo Cam tools were 103 from Repco you can get them cheaper online for 14 but these came in a fancy case woot woot, DO NOT EVEN BOTHER WITHOUT THEM, oil 80, oil pump 180, oil filter 14 and I bought (and recommend you buy) a good 10mm single hex socket, I thought it was about 8 bucks but it may have been discounted by one of the big tool shops ST or TT..
Any way, thankyou to the advice from you guys on this forum, specifically krusing about the water pump in a tip and replacing the oil pump, and Just Damo encouraging to check out other Repco stores for the Cam Locks or Cam Alignment tools. Cheers
Oh almost forgot, take pictures when you see something daunting or amazing as you pull the thing apart, there is never too many pics when you reassemble. :) Belts, top breather hoses.
Good to know you got it sorted! :) :cool:

VTS5

TechJunkie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA 3.6L Dual Fuel
I did use them too,piece of mind ,makes difficult job little easier, knowing nothing will move..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221217_153657_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221217_153657_Gallery.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 84