Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Can carburettor/throttle body cleaner be good to clean transmission shift solenoids?

ItsJockey1996

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx commodore executive l67
Hi guys one more thing as there's nothing I can find about what I'm asking, I know MAF sensor cleaner is good as I have used it before but can I use carb/ throttle body cleaner for shift solenoids and is it safe as it cleans my injectors? Stupid question I know but I got the crap lying around and wanna know if it's safe to clean them with it

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Hi guys one more thing as there's nothing I can find about what I'm asking, I know MAF sensor cleaner is good as I have used it before but can I use carb/ throttle body cleaner for shift solenoids and is it safe as it cleans my injectors? Stupid question I know but I got the crap lying around and wanna know if it's safe to clean them with it
I wouldn’t. The transmission isn’t made to have fuel in it so using a cleaner made for fuel systems is asking for trouble.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I haven't used carb cleaner on shift solenoids but I have used it on other bits inside the valve body and that transmission still works fine so I don't think it's a huge issue but at the end of the day you have to weight up the risks and decide for yourself.

ItsJockey1996

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx commodore executive l67
I haven't used carb cleaner on shift solenoids but I have used it on other bits inside the valve body and that transmission still works fine so I don't think it's a huge issue but at the end of the day you have to weight up the risks and decide for yourself.
Good point there dude, I'll just play it safe