Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Can I fit a VS Manual Gearbox to a VY auto?

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
So I have a manual gearbox out of a VS, can I fit it to a VY Auto?
If so, what do I need?

Cheers

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
It's a T5 - can I get a speedo sender?
Will the VS tailshaft fit?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
T5 will need a custom tail shaft and custom pedal box or a custom hydraulic clutch setup. You'd be better off looking for a Getrag setup from a VT onwards, ideally from a complete wreck.

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
Thanks for the tip. Any idea on where I'd go for a custom pedal box or hydraulic clutch setup? I have the T5 and the car it came out of, so that's a good starting point to go this way - although the getrag does sound easier.

thanks for the helpful reply.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
The vss' are different between the t5 and getrag. You can't easily change them over afaik as they're not even remotely similar. You'll need to have a crossmember made up or have yours modified to put the t5 in it too. The tune would need to be modified in any event though.

As said above, you'll also need to figure out how to actuate the clutch. The getrag has a hydraulic (push) type clutch fork whereas the t5 has a cable (pull) style clutch fork.

IMO, it's not really worth converting to a manual. You'd be better off selling the car and buying a manual version that you can test drive to make sure that everything works. The getrag gearboxes have a tendency to be very noisy for no apparent reason, and the linkage style shifter is a bit of a joke. They wear out and become so sloppy, you don't know what gear you're putting it into.

On the plus side, you'll get a little more fuel economy with the manual and it'll be easier to have a bit of fun in. Bear in mind though, in most cases you'll need to change the diff gears to a shorter ratio to get the most out of it.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I have the T5 and the car it came out of, so that's a good starting point to go this way.

Not really when the car it comes out of is set up completely differently. You could say exactly the same thing about a 4 speed box from a K series Corolla.

Tailshaft wouldn't be too hard to get made up, as for the pedal box and clutch setup, you're on your own really (hence custom). Unless you're good at fabrication you'll be paying a pretty penny for these.

My advice if you want it easy - base the gearbox around the car, not the car around the gearbox. Unless you're going for a T56, there's not much advantage from a T5 setup and the work it required to fit it over a Getrag.

If you get a VT-VY wreck you get everything, flywheel (you can't use a T5 flywheel on an Ecotec unless it's from a VS S1), wiring loom, slave/master cylinders, pedal box, crossmember, everything bolts up and there's guaranteed to be no fitment issues. You also save the headache of buying everything separately which typically costs waaay more.

You'll also have to look into the ECU side of things as I'm not too familiar with the the VY and it's interchangeability with other models, VSS, or memcal retunes .

Last edited: