Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Can I keep both DRL and headlights on at the same time?

bfimmortal

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Might be a stupid question, when I turn the headlights on (or it's on automatically) can I still keep the DRL on (or dimming) or the DRL will be automatically off?

Mine is a VF Calais Sportwagon. Cheers & thanks!

The1985divo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Cant do it with the default set up. Remember its illegal to have the two sets of light going at the same time like your fog lights.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Cant do it with the default set up. Remember its illegal to have the two sets of light going at the same time like your fog lights.

Not according to VicRoads - check your states relevant legislation for clarity.

Fog & driving lights : VicRoads

Daytime running lights
The increased presence of daytime running lights on our roads has caused some confusion within the community due to the outwardly similar appearances between daytime running lights, driving lights and fog lights.

The purpose of daytime running lights is to increase the visibility of a vehicle to other road users in daylight conditions.

Driving lights and fog lights are designed to increase visibility for the driver of the vehicle during night and hazardous conditions respectively.

Daytime running lights are becoming increasingly popular on some new vehicles. Recent overseas studies have shown that the use of daytime running lights has a high potential to improve road safety.

The results of European studies have shown that daytime running lights assist road users to easily recognise and identify vehicles. As a result, a European Commission Directive mandated the addition of daytime running lights to new vehicles from 2011. A number of European manufacturers have brought these vehicles to Australia.

However, the merits of daytime running lights are yet to be quantified in Australia. As Australia has not followed Europe in mandating daytime running lights, not all new vehicles are equipped with daytime running lights.

Daytime running lights are designed to switch on automatically when the engine starts and switch off automatically when fog lights or headlights are switched on. Some vehicles have the ability to adjust daytime running lights to become part of the headlight system. They produce minimal glare in comparison to driving lights and fog lights when used correctly.

The most commonly seen daytime running lights on Australian roads are made up of LEDs. The use of LEDs consumes less power and therefore also reduces fuel consumption and vehicle emissions when compared to traditional headlights.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
From what Vic Roads state "Some vehicles have the ability to adjust daytime running lights to become part of the headlight system. They produce minimal glare in comparison to driving lights and fog lights when used correctly".

My understanding (interpretation) of that comment doesn't imply that a driver can use DRLs (Daytime Running Lights) and headlights simultaneously (or in plain language - at the same time).

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
The use of LEDs consumes less power and therefore also reduces fuel consumption and vehicle emissions when compared to traditional headlights.

LMAO! Seriously? Where do these bafoons get these ideas from?

And regarding the part about minimal glare, I had a Honda coming towards me today (think it was a new Civic) and it's DRLs were MUCH BRIGHTER than the VE driving lights!

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Hey guys,

Might be a stupid question, when I turn the headlights on (or it's on automatically) can I still keep the DRL on (or dimming) or the DRL will be automatically off?

Mine is a VF Calais Sportwagon. Cheers & thanks!

Should be do-able. The HSV Gen F DRL's go to a low power mode when the headlights are on.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
From what Vic Roads state "Some vehicles have the ability to adjust daytime running lights to become part of the headlight system. They produce minimal glare in comparison to driving lights and fog lights when used correctly".

My understanding (interpretation) of that comment doesn't imply that a driver can use DRLs (Daytime Running Lights) and headlights simultaneously (or in plain language - at the same time).

check out BMW lights, the angel eye drl's stay on when headlamps are switched on. There is nothing saying that the drl cannot stay on/is illegal, but that generally they switch off. Seems to be manufacturers choice.

Flukey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
The wording is a little obscure but it appears to be legal to have both the DRL and headlights on at the same time.

kyled2012

I.T. Technician
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais 3.6
LMAO! Seriously? Where do these bafoons get these ideas from?
Sarcasm?

From electrical experts.... and science? LED DRL's use much less power than the previous tradition of using two low beam headlights (55 watts each on a Commodore) instead as DRL's.
This in turn will reduce power consumption and, in turn, fuel consumption and emissions (Actual figures may vary).
There is solid evidence behind LED's being much more efficient than Incandescent DRL's so I sincerely hope you're joking.