Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Can I supercharge or turbo a VF evoke

H

harrop.senator

What compression were the 2.8lt engines Holden made in Port Melbourne for Saab that were turbo? Did they have a strengthen bottom end?

Hard to know what else they'd do to strengthen them. Powdered rods and forged crankshafts are a huge step in the correct direction GM took a while ago.

Now hearing the pistons are forged?

There's a reason the stock motors pull 7k and racers are turning out over 8. They're a pretty strong set up at least on paper with the materials used.

Cfb_rolley

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
What compression were the 2.8lt engines Holden made in Port Melbourne for Saab that were turbo? Did they have a strengthen bottom end?

the LP9 motor? They were 9.5:1 and got recalled because they pinged their head off on 91ULP.

Hard to know what else they'd do to strengthen them. Powdered rods and forged crankshafts are a huge step in the correct direction GM took a while ago.

Yeah I don't really know what is meant by "strengthened" but that's all I could find on them. They're definitely pretty good on paper.

After buying my Mrs an alloytec , even with the tired 5 speed and the cold morning start up noise. I've started to thoroughly enjoy it.

Yeah I'm certainly not disappointed by the SV6. It's a great car. I want to see more of 'em on boost including my own haha.

Reactions: Lex

Cfb_rolley

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
+1 for a throttle controller as a cheap fix for the throttle response. Doesn’t give you any extra power but being able to set the throttle response to how you like it and change it for the situation is real nice, especially when it’s not very expensive at all.

I set mine to 0 or 1 for traffic and bump it up to 3 or 4 when I need to just take a window of opportunity to get out and pass someone on the highway or whatever.

H

harrop.senator

Out of curiosity if they're like the older 3.6 v6's the not opening the throttle fully til 3600 rpm and the percentage scaling under that is all in the tune and torque management settings.

So the throttle sensitivity kit is really just the same as standing on it harder . Is it the fact you feel less mean to it because it's not against the floor or?

I can understand changing it to a setting you prefer to get the "cable throttle" feeling back a bit but I do not understand changing it to over take lol.

Ralphski

Ralphski
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 VYII 3.8 Executive - MY11 VEII 3.6 Calais VV6
Out of curiosity if they're like the older 3.6 v6's the not opening the throttle fully til 3600 rpm and the percentage scaling under that is all in the tune and torque management settings.

So the throttle sensitivity kit is really just the same as standing on it harder . Is it the fact you feel less mean to it because it's not against the floor or?

I can understand changing it to a setting you prefer to get the "cable throttle" feeling back a bit but I do not understand changing it to over take lol.

The LF1, LFW (3.0s) were designed with economy in mind, so they made the 'fly by wire' response 'lazy & slow' on purpose
Most daily drivers don't like mashing the loud pedal, so they drive more economically
Plebs like me who drive a slightly tickled VYII 3.8 find the 3.0 responsiveness sluggish to say the least. So for me (at least) the EVC took away the slug & made it much livelier :)

H

harrop.senator

The LF1, LFW (3.0s) were designed with economy in mind, so they made the 'fly by wire' response 'lazy & slow' on purpose
Most daily drivers don't like mashing the loud pedal, so they drive more economically
Plebs like me who drive a slightly tickled VYII 3.8 find the 3.0 responsiveness sluggish to say the least. So for me (at least) the EVC took away the slug & made it much livelier :)

I daily a 3.6 that has a lot of dead pedal I've not driven the 3 litre but the vz is a joke.

To the point if you want to scoot round a corner hard you have to mash it before you enter and hope it comes on noise to pull you out of the apex.

I can understand wanting less throttle input to go more so you don't feel mean at it all the time. In the tables for my WL I think 25% throttle input = 10% throttle body opening.

I just don't see the point of changing the sensitivity on the fly to overtake when you can just give it more jandal.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
So the throttle sensitivity kit is really just the same as standing on it harder .

basically yes, the accelerator pedal is just a sensor and the more you push it the higher the output reading is so when you push it say 1 quarter of the way the ecu reads the input at say 25% and does its magical engine stuff for that input level.

a throttle controller just changes that signal being sent to the ecu so when you push the pedal 25% the ecu gets told it is say 50%(depending on the controller setting).
it is essentially the same as pushing the pedal further.
they can program in curves like having the signal go to 40% for X milliseconds and then back off to 30% or current pedal input level to give the feel of more response.
for economy it can start off on say 10% and then slowly ramp up to your current pedal input level to simulate a "slow acceleration".

they are not a "dumb device" that just amplifies the signal there are algorithms involved that change on the controllers selected setting and input level from the pedal but the thing a throttle controller will not do is add any extra power to the system, you would probably get a bigger "power gain" painting the calipers red.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon

So the throttle sensitivity kit is really just the same as standing on it harder.
I don't think anyone is saying these throttle kit thingies improve performance in any way, it's all about making the car feel a bit more peppy.
Same reason that Holden had the VN Moo throttle-body open to about 80% with 10% accelerator-travel ... you're used to a car having heaps more in reserve than it gives at 10% throttle opening, so you feel like it's got heaps more grunt than it really does.
It's the reason I used to put 98 or 95 in the auto Ecomoo VS, compared to 91 you just had to push the accelerator-pedal that leeetle bit less to achieve the same acceleration, and once used to that the car feels like there's something wrong on 91 ... even though if you ran it down a drag-strip 15 times on each fuel, it probably made no difference in the end.