Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

can Mr plod pull you over and fine you on his day off

fuzzy2308

Reaction score
Members Ride
Plastic datsun
sorry for making one of these threads again.
but can the police pull you over and fine you on there day off in there own car and out of uniform?

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
They can do what they like within the law. They are police officers.

Last edited:

moose man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII
An employed police officer is never off-duty.

This means that they can apprehend and arrest a member of the public under suspicion of committing a crime at any time. Unlike the general public that have to actually witness someone commit a crime to arrest them. Public arrest is a bit of a grey area though.

Whether it can be proven in court is another matter.

Police need proof, just like when they are on duty. In saying that, without the right tools (ie. speed camera, radar, flashing lights etc) most probably wouldn't bother unless there was another more serious offence being committed at the same time (speeding away from a crash/injury or a getaway from a bank robbery etc)
In these cases they would most likely follow the car and call for marked assistance.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
I lol'd. As said tho, an officer is on duty all the time. Its up to their own discretion as to what they follow up tho.

Well done Azk
Threadderail.jpg

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
I lol'd. As said tho, an officer is on duty all the time. Its up to their own discretion as to what they follow up tho.

Well done Azk
Threadderail.jpg

Your not exactly helping.

aZk.

hsvpunk

volunteer firefighter
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss II M6
why make a thread for this. you couldve PM'd VicCop and asked him as im sure he'd know the answer.. and im sure his answer could cover most states etc..

chevZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW
why make a thread for this. you couldve PM'd VicCop and asked him as im sure he'd know the answer.. and im sure his answer could cover most states etc..

What is with the whingers on this forum, he posted a thread so either help him or $$$$ off?? How hard is it to have useful input or no input at all!?!

As far as i am aware mate they can pull you over for anything however, should you despute the fine or accusation, you will win.. because as said - they need proof or they can't do anything, just like getting pulled over when they are on the job..

You would of noticed (as would of everyone) multiple times being pulled up and 'TOLD' you were doing a certain speed over or a certain amount but never gotten a fine or anything, most of the time this is because they don't have actual proof, just suspicion. this is because once you admit to the speed - they can book you.. If you're confident, tell them that you were doing the speed limit.. They can't do anything.

That's all in regards to speeding anyway, i don't know what law you're actually dealing with.. haha

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
im glad he made the thread! its an interesting point.

how does an off duty police officer issue the fine?
does he carry around his little fine book just in case?
if booking for speeding, how does he prove (with a radar) that you were speeding? his speedo in his personal car wouldnt go through the same testing that police cars do.

but I guess if you were neg driving or crossed over double white lines or something, he wouldnt need the speedo.

very interesting.
ive lost count how many times I wished I was a cop when seeing some ass drive dangerously on the road, and wondered that even if I WAS a cop but off duty, could I do anything about it anyway.

creesy

Reaction score
There's been times I wish I was a Jack when people do silly things and almost damage my pride and joy just so I can make them squirm.