Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

can Mr plod pull you over and fine you on his day off

Swordsy

mmmm beer....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VUII Maloo R8 - HX Tonner - XJR1200 - XR450R
Fourth - to johnnylord. Go for your life. It will only make your offences worse if he is able to identify himself to you and you refuse to stop. He would be quite capable of showing his id whilst driving.

To identify himself he would need to show his badge, otherwise i'd do what johnnylord said untill the badge was produced.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
To identify himself he would need to show his badge, otherwise i'd do what johnnylord said untill the badge was produced.

If you read the last sentence of my post, I said he would be able to produce it whilst driving. Incidentally, this would satisfy the requirement of him identifying himself to you, even if you claim you couldn't read it. Once he tells you to pull over and produces his id, the law requires you to comply with his direction.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
If you read the last sentence of my post, I said he would be able to produce it whilst driving. Incidentally, this would satisfy the requirement of him identifying himself to you, even if you claim you couldn't read it. Once he tells you to pull over and produces his id, the law requires you to comply with his direction.

Just throwing this out there, but how could you tell from another car (probably both with their windows up) that a badge is actually a SAPOL badge over a $2 toy from cheap as chips?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Just throwing this out there, but how could you tell from another car (probably both with their windows up) that a badge is actually a SAPOL badge over a $2 toy from cheap as chips?

The fact that an idiot can use a fake badge to try to get you to stop is an unfortunate fact of life today.

If an off duty police officer attempts to pull you over, and shows his id, but you choose to ignore him, you will eventually find out what a mistake that was.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
The fact that an idiot can use a fake badge to try to get you to stop is an unfortunate fact of life today.

If an off duty police officer attempts to pull you over, and shows his id, but you choose to ignore him, you will eventually find out what a mistake that was.

LOL i wasn't meaning thats what i'd do, just putting it out there. If someone tries signalling me to stop, i'd only stop in a public place with camrea's. like a servo or something (plus also calling the police to make sure its legit, whilst getting to that servo)

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
I see Nathan's point. If you are driving along and some lunatic is next to you waving something (his warrant card) and indicating for you to pull over, I would be a bit cautious about stopping. You can't really see what he/she is holding up by glancing across if you are driving.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I see Nathan's point. If you are driving along and some lunatic is next to you waving something (his warrant card) and indicating for you to pull over, I would be a bit cautious about stopping. You can't really see what he/she is holding up by glancing across if you are driving.

It's reasonable to assume that an off-duty police officer isn't going to behave like some lunatic when attempting to stop you. Remember, police are trained in safe "pull-over" techniques - the average dipshit isn't.

If you decide to ignore his demands, he can still take action against you, but failing to be able to decipher his id won't be a very good defence.

If an off-duty cop attempts to stop you, you would have some idea of what you had just done to draw his attention. You SHOULD be aware of your driving misdemeanours and SHOULD be able to put two and two together. You should also be aware that the chance of coming across an off-duty police officer is just as great as encountering on-duty police, if not greater as there are many more off duty at any one time than there are on-duty.

Rufus®

I Jizzed in my pants
Reaction score
Website
www.mediafire.com
Members Ride
VR S1 S Pack, VX S2 Acclaim Wagoon
I wouldn't stop! If I knew where i was and where the local cop station was, then I'd probably head there. I'm sure if it went to court because you failed to stop for an off duty officer, who was driving private car, it wouldnt be that hard to get out of.

Another point, if said off duty police office caused/was involved in an accident/injury, whilst pulling someone over, would he be insured?

W84N01

Reaction score
Website
www.southwestcommodoreconnection.com
Members Ride
VN manual, VC 5L Auto, 80series GXL 4WD :)
There were a few incidents in Rockinham WA a few years ago where there was a couple of blokes driving around one of the main streets showing badges and pretending to be police and they were pulling people over. They eventually got caught and got into massive trouble.

Again it comes down to your own safety doesn't it? If you see someone trying to pull you over for either doing something wrong, or they believing you've done something wrong, just acknowledge that you've seen them, and pull over in a public well lit up place (if it's at night). There are heaps of servos around the place, and there is nothing stopping you from pulling into a servo where lots of peolpe are and finding out what the problem is.

I was picked up by an off duty officer a few years ago coz i was up his butt on the freeway, as he was doing 10km'h under the speed limit in the right hand lane, so he showed me his badge (broad daylight) and we pulled over ont he side of the road. Gotta say i was really mad, and i as he was getting out of his car he was having a full on go at me, so i fought back telling him either one of our speedos were out or he was an idiot for driving under the limit in the right hand lane when there was no one in the left hand lane. i told him to take down my rego and get back in contact when he was back at work and we'd sort it out then and i left him there........but i never heard from him again.

Unfortunately everything nowadays is about your own personal safety, and if you feel unsafe or a bit weary about pulling over, don't be a fool, just acknowledge you've seen them and pull over in a public place and sort it out.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I wouldn't stop! If I knew where i was and where the local cop station was, then I'd probably head there. I'm sure if it went to court because you failed to stop for an off duty officer, who was driving private car, it wouldnt be that hard to get out of.

Another point, if said off duty police office caused/was involved in an accident/injury, whilst pulling someone over, would he be insured?

If he was involved in an accident during an incident of this nature, it would be subject to investigvation by other police. All police collisions have to be investigated. If he was attempting a legitimate stop, he should be covered by his workers compensation (as he had placed himself back on duty) and his standard vehicle insurance, not the police vehicle insurance.