Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

can Mr plod pull you over and fine you on his day off

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
You would of noticed (as would of everyone) multiple times being pulled up and 'TOLD' you were doing a certain speed over or a certain amount but never gotten a fine or anything, most of the time this is because they don't have actual proof, just suspicion. this is because once you admit to the speed - they can book you.. If you're confident, tell them that you were doing the speed limit.. They can't do anything.

dude, I dont think you got off because of no 'proof'... in fact it was probably the copper being nice and letting you off with a warning.

I'm pretty sure that the police car itself (and the expert driving it) is proof enough for a court of law. an officer doesnt have to show you anything! if he was driving at 60 and you flew past in excess of the speed limit, his testimony would be enough. police car speedos have to calibrated every few months as far as I knew, for this very reason.

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
im glad he made the thread! its an interesting point.

how does an off duty police officer issue the fine?
does he carry around his little fine book just in case?
if booking for speeding, how does he prove (with a radar) that you were speeding? his speedo in his personal car wouldnt go through the same testing that police cars do.

but I guess if you were neg driving or crossed over double white lines or something, he wouldnt need the speedo.

very interesting.
ive lost count how many times I wished I was a cop when seeing some ass drive dangerously on the road, and wondered that even if I WAS a cop but off duty, could I do anything about it anyway.

theyd just get the license plate and fix it up when they start their next shift i bet. i work with a few cops anyway so ill ask what they do

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Your not exactly helping.

aZk.

I answered the question. All you did was pick at a technicality in someones post (i'm sure we all knew they mean 'cops can do anything within the law', well, the intelligent people did anyway)

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
I answered the question. All you did was pick at a technicality in someones post (i'm sure we all knew they mean 'cops can do anything within the law', well, the intelligent people did anyway)

So did i by stating that he could do whatever he liked within the law, covering off the whole topic.

This forum is not one to discriminate. We need to cater for those not as intellegent.

Equal Opportunity.

aZk.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
What is with the whingers on this forum, he posted a thread so either help him or $$$$ off?? How hard is it to have useful input or no input at all!?!

Maybe because nobody who has posted in this thread is actually a Police Officer, and most of the info they will get will be hearsay (i.e., info that is not useful). PM'ing VicCop would have been useful.

I'm not sure about off duty police officers in their own clothes and cars pulling you over, but I have been told by an officer that they can visit and fine you whilst on duty for things they have seen off duty. If it is something that needs to be dealt with on the spot whilst they are off duty, they will usually call it in.

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
What was the topic fuzzy?

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
To the people saying the cop needs proof, no they don't. A police officer is classified as an 'expert witness', so if its your word vs theirs, then your going down.

johnnylord

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Im gonna add my 2cents worth..
If a bloke says he's a cop and is in his own car and not in uniform, im not going to stop or let him give me an earbashing. call me a rebel but i dont want some random following me around or stopping me..could be trying to pinch my ride!

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
A few points to clarify here.

First, an off-duty police officer in his own car can stop you and take particulars at the scene. He should, as required by his employment, carry his police identification with him at all times and should produce it to you to prove his validity.

Second, taking speeding offences as an example, he can't give an accurate estimate of your speed because he is not driving a vehicle with a certified speed measuring device fitted. Police HWP speedos are checked and calibrated very regularly to ensure their accuracy. General duty vehicles are not. His private vehicle would not have that accuracy, so your speed would be reported within a range (in NSW for example, ESL by not more than 15kph).

Thirdly, he doesn't issue you with an infringement notice on the spot. He can complete a breach report when he next works, using details he takes from your license, rego etc, at the time he stops you.

Fourth - to johnnylord. Go for your life. It will only make your offences worse if he is able to identify himself to you and you refuse to stop. He would be quite capable of showing his id whilst driving.