Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Can tailpipes cause drone?

soleit

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE SS-V
For a wagon? Don't do it, you'll regret it if the car has 3+ passengers. I did see on another forum someone put J-Pipes with hotdogs and has zero drone and the rumble isn't as loud (mine's freakishly loud but I love it, it's the drone I hate). Still thinking hsv mufflers or might go with the hotdog set.

dazzdodge

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Calais V 6.0L
no they will be going on a sedan, a '10 Calais V 6.0L
I just bought it but haven't taken possession of it yet, it's on its way down from QLD on transport atm..

soleit

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE SS-V
Should be good on a sedan. I'm in a club where quite a few members have j-pipes on their sedans with 0 drone

dimetime

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais 6lt
J pipes dont sound very good but the best thing you could do would be but a good quality catback from either manta,difilippo or kpm. All offer a great sound and minimal exhaust drone.
I had a mate get j pipes and as soon as he heard my difillippo system, he brought one too!

dazzdodge

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Calais V 6.0L
for sure mate, a full system will definitely happen down the track a bit

Seano_boi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais series 2 L67
I'll chime in here... And I have said precious little here, but I'm back in country now... Anyway...

The way a j pipe operates is frequency cancellation, Ie, it's designed and created to target a very specific frequency of sound in Hertz that our ears perceive as drone... So it's very vehicle and mod specific. The sound of the exhaust pulse enters the section of the "j" and as it bounces back colliding with its counterpart and cancels out... The maths is sound, and it does work. This allows you to target the exact drone point that bothers you most... Say you commute to work and spend most time at highway speed, you target that... Or have a family wagon and live on a hill... You get the point.

Also to note that the resonate frequency of things around will also effect... That's why we all would agree that the Wagons are all droney...as the floor becomes a sound board and plays more havoc than Rolf Harris at a kids concert (not Ment to offend, sorry). You get the idea...

So... If someone was to experiment enough with their own pipes, they could, in effect, cancel the drone of the vehicle, and at that point we would not hear the drone, and the floor and length of pipe and what not else would not hit our ears and we would not get a headache from hearing it after a while like we all do...

I'm not saying stay with the j pipe setup for your application.... I'm saying dont just discount the pipes as no good, it's just not targeting your specific freqs of drone... Which Really Sucks, especially after you went that way expecting it to workout for you...

It can if you want to experiment with different lengths, and usually you have a lot of movement with the caps in a decent j pipe product, which is good because it costs nothing to put the caps at the longest setting and tap them in untill you have no drone in your setup. Usually they do that cos one vehicle has extractors one doesn't, ect .... If you have exhausted the "adjustment" and still have drone, that's when I'd be changing...

Let me know what you think and what you decide to do, as I'm interested to see how it pans out :).

Last edited:

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
There are a couple of threads on here already dealing with 1/4 wave resonators / j-pipes / helmholtz chambers, yes you can target the drone frequency with a simple calc. to determine length and some trials wrt girth and volume as well.
The main resonance can be addressed using an x-pipe merge at calculated length from end of primaries also, which comes with other benefits as well.
For overall noise attenuation nothing beats bimodal rear cans that switch from straight through to encased J-pipe, plenty on eBay for ~$300 a set plus $100 for basic controller (recommended) to $200 for fully programmable RPM / TP / Load / VSS via phone app combo.
I tuned my own "j-pipes" to suit X-Force sports system, then tuned the x-pipe, then fitted HSV bimodals with manual controller.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
Should be good on a sedan. I'm in a club where quite a few members have j-pipes on their sedans with 0 drone

wagons (basis of this topic) are a completely different animal when you are talking exhaust drone

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
I've put on 3" J-Pipes on the end of my SSV sportwagon

I have J's on the back of my Caprice and I hate them, I like the volume but the drone is unbearable, it's so bad it actually makes the whole cabin buzz and feel like i'm driving a diesel and just feels awful to drive.

One day i'll get around to putting something better on, but for now I just have to live with it.

jcvhsle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh Sle 4.2, ve SSZ z wagon
have std HSV bi-modal mufflers on the GEN-F Tourer... no drone
and
had VE E3 GTS (sedan obviously) rear mufflers on my last 2 VE SSv wagons
nice rumble... no drone
Ok exceptionally late reply here but because the images are gone I can’t comprehend what combo was used. Was AFM disabled for the decent note( no drone). Cheers jc