Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

can u mess with cruise controll so its useable before 40ks?

Helicopter

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR Calais V8
The cruise control has no idea about what the absolute speed of the vehicle is !
It simply processes the pulses from the speedo sender from the gearbox.

Inside the cruise control is a large LSI chip that controls a high power stepper motor. Obviously the LSI chip is programmed to ignore any pulses below a certain frequency, which in this case is pulses received below 40kmh......whatever rate they may happen to be.

So when you activate or set the cruise control, if the pulses are above the minimum threshold, the cruise control memorises that setting, then takes command of the throttle cable in order to maintain this pulse rate hence speed, known as closed loop control.

To get it to operate below the 40kmh factory set point, you need to find a way to fool the cruise control into thinking the received pulses are above the 'lower threshold set point'. This would mean intercepting the speedo signal going into the cruise control in some way and modifying the pulse rate, but still maintaining a linear relationship to the actual or real signal sent by the speedo sender in order to stay in the closed loop state.

Jaycar do make a speedo correction kit that could be modified to achieve this, but as already mention a few times by other members, having cruise control set at 40km or below is no point and could prove dangerous. Not to mention making a modification which [perhaps] could be against the law.

Good luck.

pillzor

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS executive
The cruise control has no idea about what the absolute speed of the vehicle is !
It simply processes the pulses from the speedo sender from the gearbox.

Inside the cruise control is a large LSI chip that controls a high power stepper motor. Obviously the LSI chip is programmed to ignore any pulses below a certain frequency, which in this case is pulses received below 40kmh......whatever rate they may happen to be.

So when you activate or set the cruise control, if the pulses are above the minimum threshold, the cruise control memorises that setting, then takes command of the throttle cable in order to maintain this pulse rate hence speed, known as closed loop control.

To get it to operate below the 40kmh factory set point, you need to find a way to fool the cruise control into thinking the received pulses are above the 'lower threshold set point'. This would mean intercepting the speedo signal going into the cruise control in some way and modifying the pulse rate, but still maintaining a linear relationship to the actual or real signal sent by the speedo sender in order to stay in the closed loop state.

Jaycar do make a speedo correction kit that could be modified to achieve this, but as already mention a few times by other members, having cruise control set at 40km or below is no point and could prove dangerous. Not to mention making a modification which [perhaps] could be against the law.

Good luck.

not something i would go near myself at all but awesome post thanks for the info!

shiftySLE

The Lion will never Die!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE, VZ Acclaim
cruise workin at 25km/h would be awesome, with the amount of road works happening in the barossa ( kilometers of it) and a lot of it 25. would make logical sence.

I dont think it would be that logical, quite the opposite, if you are going through roadworks or are in traffic, you will never be 'cruising' and should be alert. It would be start stop most of the time anyway.
Theoretically its easier to just hold the pedal and watch the speedo than pressing cruise on, set, resume, acc etc. This is a typical case of technology making people lazier.

shiftySLE

The Lion will never Die!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE, VZ Acclaim
Glad to be of some help
Cheers:thumbsup:

What about the old cars like SLE commos, how were they controlled without all the ECU's and computers?

Vee-ard

QuickVR95II 2010 Survivor
Reaction score
Members Ride
Foam Tuned VR 5.0l Ute
I cant beleive a thread like this has so many posts. stop being lazy and use the accelerator like everyone else.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
I cant beleive a thread like this has so many posts. stop being lazy and use the accelerator like everyone else.

Some of us wouldn't settle for a poverty pack, so we'll enjoy our luxuries ;)

Vee-ard

QuickVR95II 2010 Survivor
Reaction score
Members Ride
Foam Tuned VR 5.0l Ute
Some of us wouldn't settle for a poverty pack, so we'll enjoy our luxuries ;)

Oh, I have cruise control. Dont worry. Im just not trying to be lazy and cruise before 40.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Oh, I have cruise control. Dont worry. Im just not trying to be lazy and cruise before 40.

I'm not lazy, I choose to relax ;)

pillzor

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS executive

do you get `cool driving bro` points , for driving under 40ks an hour ?
check that guy out hes driving under 40ks AND HES USING THE PEDAL , quick run up to him and get his phone number.