Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

CANT START VR!! Ignition problem.

MR ELI NELSON

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Hello guys, recently purchased a vr commodore wagon. It came with no key barrel installed in the column, but 2 key barrels & 1 actual key on the floor.

so far I’ve installed the barrel that I found in the car with the working key head.
I’ve tried using a new key fob & programming tool from supercheap & it kept giving me error. (New fob, same key head) so I went and got a snap on scan tool & tried to program the new key through that. As you might know you need a bcm security code to add a new key. The scan tool is giving me an 8 digit number, when the number I need is 6 digits. I’ve looked and looked and can’t see any more security code options. It seems to not let me do anything, can’t check engine codes, clear codes
Keeps giving me the message; Is key on? Can’t connect
Keep in mind I’ve taken the 45min immobiliser bypass into consideration and still can’t seem to do anything.
I’ve also bridged number 5&6 on the obd2 and it give me the code 1-2 which means everything is good apparently

if I wait for the 45mins the engine will crank over but won’t start. I can hear the fuel pump & I know I have spark. I’ve seen elsewhere they apparently cut the injectors until you get past the vats
(Vehicle anti theft system)

HELP!! I’m stuck

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Check the slip ring on the ignition barrel, make sure it has good contact with the key.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Vats will time out need to wait longer or untill security light turns off.

Fault code does 12 times then gives fault codes then repeats

If already had matching keyhead to bcm etc should be able to lock/unlock off key fob & turn key for it to start.

Also possible has other issues to sort out if car is unknown quantity & already been messed with.

MR ELI NELSON

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
I feel as if the previous bloke tried to get it running and failed. No technical or mechanical knowledge. I’ve connected the slip ring on the barrel and made sure there is power there with a test light. Still no good

when I turn the key I get dash lights but still no luck. Why won’t it let me in !!

Last edited:

MR ELI NELSON

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
I’ve waited for the security light to turn off & have tried everything also. (Immobiliser bypass) still nothing

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Will it start with aerostart or similar sprayed into the throttle body?

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Keep in mind I’ve taken the 45min immobiliser bypass into consideration and still can’t seem to do anything.

Did you have the ignition on for 45 minutes or did you just have the key on the accessory position? Ignition needs to be on for the bypass to work. Leave it for 60 minutes to be sure.

MR ELI NELSON

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
I waited until the little red light had turned off. Maybe wait longer ?

even if that does work I’ll forever be doing the same thing? I need to work out how to program the key to the car so it’s usable. I don’t understand why the scan tool is giving me an 8 digit bcm security code when I need a 6 digit

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
You shouldn't need a code. Found this: