Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car maintenance....what should i do next????????

iwannanewcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Berlina sportswagon
Hi guys,

I am currently doing some maintenance on my car and was wondering what the next move might be? i have a 1993 vp wagon series 2 witch has done just under 350,000 ks. Generally it runs ok apart from some roughness when its hot weather with the air con running. These are the things that i have done so far......

late last year - new crank angle sensor ( old one stopped working )

last week - new leads, plugs, oil, oil filter, air filter

tomorrow - im going to clean/ flush the cooling system with new thermostat

wednesday - booked in for new fuel pump and filter

im hoping the cooling flush and fuel pump will help make the car run smoother but i do realise that there is only so much i can do to improve a 17 year commodore. i might get the water pump checked over aswell but would like to know what else i should do to help keep the car running well......thanks in advance for your feedback!

Krisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
D22 St-r Navara
the roughness from the aircond running might mean the aircond clutch pully is on its way out. flush the gearbox out with a new filter also, check uni joints and suspension rubbers, more so the front strut links and rear upper arms

FXST01

The Grey Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Exec
Check your brakes and discs, how old is the fluid?

Transmission flush.

iwannanewcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
thanks for the replies.........brake fluid is ok but i will check the tranny fluid and see how that is. Didnt think of the throttle body but i will check that also, im fairly sure the throttle body was cleaned maybe 16-18 months ago

zskinner

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN CalaisV 6.0L
get a new coolant temperature sensor (about 15-20 bucks from holden). very very easy to install, do it while your doing your coolant flush cos otherwise you may lose a little bit of coolant (but even if youve already done your coolant flush still do it, you will only lose a very little bit of coolant if you unscrew the old one out really quick and screw in the new one really quick). also do your oxygen sensor (around about 60-70 bucks from repco or ebay) if it hasnt been done in the past 50,000 kms. both of these sensors will gradually start to die and can have a very large effect on fuel economy. i can ALMOST guarantee that if you havnt changed either of these sensors in the last 50,000 kms that changing them will make a noticeable difference to fuel economy. also wouldnt hurt running some injector cleaner through your fuel system. and if you have some money saved up and wanna go all out, grab some ultrasonically cleaned fuel injectors for like $100 off ebay and throw them in :thumbsup:

iwannanewcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
just an update....i fushed the cooling system on monday using the method written in the how-to section ( flushing a v6 cooling system ) which worked great!, i took the car to mechanics today and on the way the car became rough and almost cut out, leaving me with no accelaration. at the time i had both air con and fan on, after turing both off it seemed ok but happened again once i turned both on again. the mechanic installed fuel pump with filter, serviced the air con and replaced the brushes on the rear shockers. the car still has a miss somewhere which is frustrating and i'm worried it may run rough and cut out again.....any ideas of what i could checked first as i am fast running out of money with both christmas and a holiday coming up????????? all replies are much appreciated!

zskinner

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN CalaisV 6.0L
if you've done your leads and plugs, the next most probable things to cause a miss are your coil packs or the ignition module. you can get them in a pack altogether from ebay for a couple hundred bucks

zskinner

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN CalaisV 6.0L
perhaps even a blockage in your exhaust somewhere can cause missing/hesitation/stalling too......

Gudgeon Pin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore, VK EFI 5.0 Calais
in regards to basic maintainence, what ya haven't mentioned is the diff oil or the belt, when doing the belt you can check all your pulleys, the idlers are pretty common for wear