Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car of the Future plan sucks.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
I used to love the old Grp C & Grp A rules, I watched every race without fail. Since V8 Supercars has evolved, I find myself maybe watching a couple of races a year, including Bathurst. I've fairly much lost all interest as the cars aren't Commodores or Falcons, and I'd like to see some variety of manufacturers re-introduced back into the field. I now spend more time watching back to basics, production based car racing at my local race track, Morgan Park.

my plan would be bring back the old group A rules (with some changes)

-allow production 4 door sedans of all makes & models eligible, which are available for sale in Australia from manufacturer (excluding exotic supercars which fit into the GT category)
-car is powered by the same engine & driveline that was available from the manufacturer, (limited performance & strengthening/endurance modifications - within set guidelines permitted)
-factory dash (aftermarket instruments permitted), steering column, and drivers seat position
-OEM suspension components to be retained, excluding shocks, springs and sway bars
-in car adjustable suspension not permitted
-all factory panels & chassis to be retained, with only minimum safety modifications where necessary
-minimalistic homolagation aero kit
-homolgated CAMS approved roll cage
-brake upgrades permitted (steel rotor upgrades only, no fibre or ceramic upgrades)

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
If you think the WRC are "real" cars you're fooling yourself. They're further removed from the real thing then the V8SC is.

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
I much prefer watching the V8 Ute racing to the V8 SCs for many of the reasons people have stated. It's much more interesting IMO.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
I agree, the V8 utes are Fantastic.
Seen the V8SC and the utes at winton earlier this year, We left after about 5 laps of the V8SC, the support events were more entertaining.

old mate

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VB Sedan / GU Patrol
never said they are 'real cars' its just good to watch. i'd love to have a ride in one.

darran_l has what i want in one. except for 4 door limitations.

ausrs

Reaction score
Members Ride
00 SS M6/79 chev Monza
watch the autobarn series want to see cars moving around ,real cars ,real drivers NO television coverage :(

YouTube - 2010 Muscle Car Masters - 68 Mustang Coupe - Fraser Ross!

i find v8 stupidcars boring and not worth watching ,let alone going to one of the concrete canyon racetracks they appear to like racing at !

do away with the telemetry let the drivers actually do the set up through their feel of the car NOT have a computer tellthem how to drive it,maybe then we will see another real crop of drivers like Moffat ,Brock ,Skaife etc .....and the after race winning speeches ,lets bring some interest in them (Jim Richards "your all a pack of arseholes " comes to mind )
it is way to sterile ,even F! have moved away from the sterility that surrounded it for many years !
make it actually interesting instead of them all driving around in Falcadores !

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
bring back mainstream production racing. Buy it on friday, race it on sunday, sell it on monday. If i want glamour racing I will watch F1. Watching real cars race and seeing obvious advantages and disadvantages of each car at different tracks is what is fun.

Then you get EvoXXXV (or whatever number they are up to) filling up the first 9 places and even more boring racing.

Fail.

Reaper

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
I don't think you can increase the fan base without making the series 'relevant' to the greater public. Pandering to fans, just keeps the current fans happy, which can only get smaller through natural attrition. At best it's a static holding action it can't grow the fan base.

To make it exciting you need close - ish racing. Not 'so close there is no overtaking' but similair lap times, using different methods. Faster on the straights versus faster in corners. Braking later versus faster out of corner acceleration. Many Recipes, similair results.

Hence the idea of a opening it up, encouraging innovation and only penalising a racer when they get so absolutley dominant that it becomes a procession. Remember the BMW m3 vs Robbie Francevics Volvo vs Skaifes Skyline vs Moffatt's RX7 vs Grices Commodore vs DJ's Falcon ? Many recipes, similair results. Only I chose a 6 cylinder category so that technical gains will far more easily translate to marketable technologies for the manufacturer. It will encourage them to go racing.

Oh and bring back cigarette sponsorship. Motor racing is risky, advertising a risky habit or vice seems appropriate. It also garuntees advertising dollars out the wazoo. And don't give me rubbish about glamorizing smoking - Hell you can buy coca cola everywhere, it carries risk with its high sugar recipe, and no-ones tried to ban it for glamorizing soft drink consumption. By the time we are adults, you know smoking can kill you, and only adults can buy cigarettes.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Then you get EvoXXXV (or whatever number they are up to) filling up the first 9 places and even more boring racing.

Fail.

Reaper

Thats a bad thing how? It means local manufacturers here have to lift their game.