Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car takes a while to start, dies. then runs fine?

3LTVK

Reaction score
Members Ride
1985 VK SL
Hey guys,
i have a bit of a problem in my car, its an RB30 vk,
when i try start it up, it takes a good 10 sconds to fire, it cranks but nothing happens for a fair while,
it starts, and revs fine, but moment i dont give it revs, it conks out, so i crank it again, (starts instantly) then dies, then start it again, and runs like a dream, as if nothings ever happened,

any suggestions? has been doing it for a while, recently replaced CAS, Coil pack and ECU so i think i can safely eliminate those problems?

thanks

harry3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl berlina wagon 6cyl
it could be a blocked petrol filter

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
was it a new CAS?
sounds like symptoms of an AFM(Air flow Meter) unplug the AFM and start the car if it idles fine its a failing afm.
try another afm from a mates vl.
another thing. DO a search there are so many threads regarding your problems

3LTVK

Reaction score
Members Ride
1985 VK SL
Yeah brand new CAS, tried a secondhand one and the car had this problem, so bought a brand newie, and still same issue, today the car started straight up and ran fine instantly over about 5 or 6 starts, so will try it next time it has trouble starting,
As for fuel filter I bought one today to chuck in, haven't had a chance to so far though

I tried doing numerous searches but just found stuff that was CAS related

Thanks for your opinions guys

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
Did u try the afm that I suggested. Even start the car and unplug it. If it runs smoother it's failing.
Also check the cas plug on the dizzy. Pull back the rubber boot and check all crimped wires. Common to corrode and snap off.
Look into the plug for corrosion too
Spray in some inox or rp7 not that overrated wd40 crap.

3LTVK

Reaction score
Members Ride
1985 VK SL
havent had a chance to as of yet, its been raining pretty constant here, and the car has been starting first crank and pretty smooth too, so wasnt really complaining,
did check the wires though when doing CAS as apparently they have a few problems, and all seem pretty fine, i will squirt some inox in there tomorrow they were a tad corroded on just 1 pin off memory

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
was it a new CAS?
sounds like symptoms of an AFM(Air flow Meter) unplug the AFM and start the car if it idles fine its a failing afm.
try another afm from a mates vl.
another thing. DO a search there are so many threads regarding your problems

the only thing about doing a search is the thread starters never end up stating what there problem was when solved.you get answers like yep its all good now lol.

not saying in this case that would happen but majority of the time thats what happens when running a search.

3LTVK

Reaction score
Members Ride
1985 VK SL
and that was my major problem, everything i found didnt really state the problem,

Update; unplugged the afm today, it cut out instantly, by AFM, that is the sensor just before the airbox right?

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
yes correct.

and google pisses me off.you end up with no answer or three different answers that are not the same

3LTVK

Reaction score
Members Ride
1985 VK SL
Alright so a couple of days ago I unplugged the afm, and it died instantly, sprayed rp7 in the plug and plugged it all back in, made sure all the sensors were plugged in, all seemed good, checked the CAS plug, and sprayed rp7 in there, checked the TPS, and the sensor itself was loose on the throttle body, so I put it to centre, and it still a little slow at starting. I aimed it down, and it starts up almost instantly, but runs real rough for a minute or so,

Is this a sign of a dodgy TPS? Or Incorrectly positioned? Is it worth getting the car dyno tuned and if so, where is a good place in SE Victoria that are good with rb30's? Surely something in dandenong?

Sorry for the questions, just be good to know what's going on
Thanks