Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car won't start

supercharger kingy

NUCKIN FUTS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE L98 Calais
still might not be fuel pump mate... also check your fuel filter... that can be blocked... cheap fix and peace of mind

djdomohudson

Mad frogs
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega Sedan / VE International Sportwagon
Yeah battery had nothing wrong with it. Did what you said and gave the starter motor a whack and tightened the loose bolt which got the engine wanting to start — like I mentioned before about it was ticking over but not starting.

supercharger kingy

NUCKIN FUTS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE L98 Calais
so it could be spark plugs , leads or fuel side of things now..... process of elimination . Peace of advise replace the cheaper parts first :)

djdomohudson

Mad frogs
Reaction score
Members Ride
Haha. I'm about to go check it out so hopefully it's all graceful from here.

freefallin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina / VZ SS LS1
Funny nobody said loose battery terminals as that is exactly the symptom of a loose battery terminal. lights radio and everything works nicely...but turn the key to start the car and you just get one click (and most probably your high beam indicator coming on for a sec as you hear the tick).
All you gotta do is just clean the terminals perhaps with a little carb spray and sand paper and make sure they are tight on the posts. Or better yet just get new terminals as they are dirt cheap.

umair

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sold my car :(
If you want to make your battery connections sparkly clean, just take some baking soda(not baking powder) and mix with water in a glass. Then take a tooth brush and dip it in the glass and clean the connections. After you are finished, wash away the dirt left on the connection by a garden hose or water and let to dry.

djdomohudson

Mad frogs
Reaction score
Members Ride
I picked up my car yesterday and found that it had had the fuel pump changed again. I was surprised. The fuel pump I'd only had put in just in September was a no name, no brand blank Chinese one. I had a VDO one put in instead. Not sure what about VDO, but at least I can look it up online. And when I start my car it starts immediately, and purrs lovely. It also idles a lot nicer too.

Another point. I was charged $209 for this changeover which included that, the labour, plus a call out charge to my house the other night and testing in the driveway. To add to that he was the one that discovered the loose nut on my starter motor and tightened it up for me.

Compare this to the other crooks who fitted the no brand Chinese module my receipt for that job was:-
$190 for a coil
$240 for the fuel pump
$250 for labour

commodorefanatic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Olympic Edition
Yer unfortunately you can be real lucky and find a good mechanic and then you can just find the shifty bastard who wanna make a quick buck and don't give a f***. Glad you got it sorted.