Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

carbon fibre bonnets

statement

reaching new limits
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY/VZ Calais/Tonner
thankxs for the replys guys, but i still don't understand if they are illegal why do i see cars running around with them? :bang: an how would fibreglass bonnets go? :thumbsup:

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
get your bonnet carbon fibre wrapped....somewhere in adelaide does it so im sure somewhere in another capital city would have a place that does it too

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Why do you want one?

statement

reaching new limits
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY/VZ Calais/Tonner
getting it wrap is no good for me as it is damage pretty badly, an the reason i after one is once my custom bodykit is finish i would like to have my design made up
1- light weight
2- custom design
3- cooling benifents
4- an once its done i think it would look hot

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
So carbon fibre bonnets are stronger then metal ones? Cuz they don't bend if in an accident?

And what about the black carbon fibre ones that are on Asian cars. Every second WRX, Lancer or Echo at Uni is white or blue with a black bonnet. They advertise the black carbon fibre ones for $500-600..

Are they illegal?

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
why would you want one? lets go Rice racers!

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
minux said:
why would you want one? lets go Rice racers!
I don't want one.. Just wanna kno cuz then it'd mean that all those ricers are illegal.. Can be defected at the drop of a hat..

Copper: Ahh lemme see. Bonnet doesn't meet ADR regulations, poses a hazard to other drivers and pedestrians.. *CANARY*

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
call me thick but theres one thing i dont get, sure switching to a CF bonnet will save you some weight compared to a steel one and sure they look alright but does removing 20odd kilos from the hood make that much of a diff?

i was going to argue my view that weight on the front wheels would be good for accelerating out of corners [touch less understeer / front wheel skid ] but on the other hand you would already have 200+ kilos of engine doing that. so i suppose switching to CF would mean you can shave that whole half a second off your 1/4 or thanks to the reduced weight, knock off more than a second in a lap race.

again i dont know that much so dont take my word for it, im just saying what i think.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
shounak said:
I don't want one.. Just wanna kno cuz then it'd mean that all those ricers are illegal.. Can be defected at the drop of a hat..

Copper: Ahh lemme see. Bonnet doesn't meet ADR regulations, poses a hazard to other drivers and pedestrians.. *CANARY*

I would of thought some of them huge rear wings were illegal.