Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

carbon fibre bonnets

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
minux said:
I would of thought some of them huge rear wings were illegal.

which is where you would see a lot of cars with just the wing mounts on the boot.

i suppose it would have something to do with the dimensions. someone once said to me it had to do with the fact that if you were to hit someone and they went over then the wing would make a nice mess. no idea tbh.

yet another reason we need a "big book of you cant do this" from the cop shop

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
You should be able to run any kind of bonnet you want on an older car that didn't have to meet ADR's but it's a different story on Commodores. There used to be heaps of HQ's running around with the entire front end made of fibre glass panels, that's a massive weight saving on a HQ and since they run a proper chassis anyway who needs metal panels : )

statement

reaching new limits
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY/VZ Calais/Tonner
minux said:
why would you want one? lets go Rice racers!

how can you say that when c/f bonnets have been use by all kinds of motor cars an not just ricers, like the maclaren f1 road car which the body shell is made up in total carbon fibre.

just cause one side willing to do more or something different should not be reason be putdown

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
They don't way that much at all normally so I'm fairly sure any weight loss wouldn't be noticed anyway. If weight loss is what your after then maybe a different interior, strip your stereo out entirely- ditch your spare and tool box.

statement

reaching new limits
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY/VZ Calais/Tonner
the weight loss i'm not worried about it more the fact i'm after something different an stands out of from the crowd.

where does it say or i can find about the legal side to wat materials i can an can't use use on my car?

p.s for WA an i can't seem to find an on the dpi site???

O

oozinpsi

my mate had a carbon fibre bonnet on his wrx and got pulled over a billion times and neva got defected for the bonnet , so my guess is there not illegal. he evan wrote that wrx off took the bonnet off and put it back onto another rex and then took it over the pits with no worries!

Stretcher Bearer

A.R.N.G.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 SOCOG Exec 9C1
statement said:
thankxs for the replys guys, but i still don't understand if they are illegal why do i see cars running around with them? :bang: an how would fibreglass bonnets go? :thumbsup:

You're joking aren't ya?

Why do P platers drive cars they aren't supposed to?
Why do guys whack oversized tyres wheels on their cars?
Why do guys speed whre they aren't suposed to?
Why do ricers for example seem to push the limit time and time again with vehicle mods?

Owners will try and get away with whatever they can.

Will the bonnet have a sign saying "Carbon Fibre Equipped"?

The bonnet is an integral part of crash behaviour and protection.
Fibreglass is actually very heavy and not very forgiving in a prang.
CF doesn't help a lot with weight in normal driving.

If you want a cool bonnet, get a clear one for show and shines.
For on road use find a good air brusher for the bonnet you have.

WILD VR CLUBBY

lack of licence
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 vy s
first of all. ur all wrong with the carbon fibrebonets thing im an aviation engerneering aprentice and the reason y carbon fibre bonets aint alowed is coz its a hard but britle material and will shater on impact it is very lite and hard but. i guess u could have a fibre glass bonnet but coz its a ductile material ( able to absorb impact).
the reason u see carbon fibre bonnets on other cars it coz its not all carbon fibre just two layers one on out and in the midle is fibre glass or fibre glass and aramid (kevla) which canges its structural integrety drematicly.
as for the myth that ur carbon fibre bonnet would got through ur windscreen and decapitate u i find this highly unlikly coz it wouldnt stay in one peice it would be thousands off litle peices (like unlaminated glass)
and also u wont find a carbon fibre bonet for $600 more like $2000 unless its just ur old bonet wraped in one layer off carbon fibre