Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Caryard Thiefs

dtrain

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
I'm just posting this thread out of shear frustration. The other day I visited my lovely local Holden dealer seeking to trade my 2003 VY in on a 2005 VZ. My VY is a lowered Exec, with 18" Alloys & bodykit. (pictures are posted on this site) It really is a VERY tidy version with only 40K on the clock. I purchased the car in August 2004 with 14K on the clock and paid $32,000 drive away, from Holden. Well after inspecting my car and commenting on how great the condition was, no stone chips etc, they started working out various scenarios for the purchase of my new car. However they did not tell me what my trade in value was. After a few prompts they finally relented and gave me the trade value.............................$16,000. WHAT!!!!!! 12 months on my car has depreciated 50%. Get lost!!!! I know that cars depreciate in value and fuel prices at the moment are not helping, but to me that is just plain theft. I retained my frustration until i commented on the SIGNIFICANT depreciation in value and the dealer had the hide to tell me, "if you wanted an investment you should have brought a house!" At this point I walked out. I guess Holden are not real keen on repeat business.

So my thread is does anybody else have similar Holden trade-in stories to tell. I've been a loyal holden man since i could first drive. However just now, right at this moment I'm questioning my loyality!!!

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
is ti a v8? if it is, that will lower the price considerably, but 16000, ****, thats low. id try and sell it privately. see what theyre going for on average, and drop a little below that. caryards will always try and rip you, because they want to make a big profit from a car they sell.

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
thats why you wait a year to buy a car you like :D my girlfriends parents vx ss traded in last week for 12k lol

greenbeam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina
Could be the price you paid in 2004 was too high. Did it have all the fruit on it then, or did you add it?

I paid $23K for a Nov03 VY Berlina V6 with 22K kms at the auctions in Jan 05. A nearby Holden dealer had two VY Berlinas with similar KMs for $32K. So it sounds like your purchase price was a little high if the Exec was stock, AND you can see what sort of mark up Holden dealers place on used cars from this example.

My suggestion: go to a couple of auctions - should be VZs there by now? Get a feel for prices, there and for private sale prices for your car. Sell privately and go to the auction. The auction cars have remainder of new car warranty anyway, so it's low risk.

Cheers,
Paul.

dtrain

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
THe car was tricked when I brought it, so it had all the gear fitted by holden when they got the car.

maxy0987

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec S2
well when i got my 04VY a few months ago it was for 21, that was (almost) cost for the dealer after they had got it at the auctions and done a few things (like added rear spoiler and fixed windscreen), i knwo this because my mum works at the dealership and can see the cost prices, so we could get the best price without them making money on us for no reason.

I guess they need to buy very cheap to sell cheap, they would be expecting a 3g markup im guessing at least

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
The moral of the story is to do your sums.The more they give you for a trade in the more they make on the sale.Warranty is not free hence the extra cost from a dealer.
Back to the topic I bought my VY from a ford dealer due to the problems at the local holden dealer.No trade in, bad service etc.

omegaman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Monaro
The old story is "buyer beware" but its all about homework there are enough places to buy used Commodores. The rule of thumb is what are the extras really worth 18"s
( $1500-2000 ) If its an SS kit $ 1500- $2000 fitted and painted plus real price for car gives you your answer.
Unfortunately buying a car is an emotional thing, you see something you want it, you buy it! There are enough examples around of people who pay TOO MUCH for there cars because they didnt do there homework. Oh one last thing dont use glasses guide and red book not even dealers them!!

Jeffro74

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wanna bee SS
used holdens always depreciate heaps i just expect it.
I bought a vy berlina with 16000 ks on it just 1 yr old book price new was $46000
i paid $27000 got to feel sorry for that bloke :/ i think its all the ex government cars that bring all our cars down in price.

ssberlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC SLE track car, 10 sec VU Ute
Be thankful you didnt buy a falcon. I have seen 2003 XT falcons going through the wholesale auctions for around $12000 with less than 40,000km on the clock. I cant imagine the owners probably even got that on the deal.

The second hand cars prices for the run of the mill fleet type cars have significantly reduced in price at the moment due to a number of factors including huge stocks of ex government fleets that are sitting in storage so buyer beware.

The stupid thing is that it doesnt matter whether the car has lots of accessories or in in like new condition, it makes no difference at the end of the day as the dealer will only give you what the book says for the model and km.