Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Castrol Magnatec 10W-40 = Shell Helix 10W-40?

wobbles123

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SV6 Auto Ute, 2013 VF SV6 Auto Sedan.
I have used Castrol Magnatec 10W-40 in all of my Holden's since the year dot without any problems including my VE SV6 Auto Ute & my VF SV6 Auto Car currently owned.

I know that Castrol are associated with BP when you read the fine print with a spy glass on the container I am assuming it is made in a reputable Refinery but does not say where?

Repco has on sale today Shell Helix 10W-40 5 Litres for $25.
Shell Helix 10W-40 alas when you read the fine print with a spy glass on the container it says it is made in China.
Is the container made in China? or is the oil made in China from regurgitated animal fats or fast food outlets with oil from fried chips?...…!@#$%^&*

This is to find out which oil is the best and to work out where the oils are really refined in Aus ? maybe or fully imported from a reputable supply like a Singapore or USA Refinery or alternately China.

I know cheap oils from Repco are refined from used oil and you pay for what you get.

Last edited:

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
+1 for penrite.
i have used it in all my vehicles petrol or diesel for years and have never had an issue that would point to it being a bad oil to use.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
The two oils you mentioned are probably much the same, I would prefer to use the shell oil. I would be surprised it's made in China but have no idea.
I only use synthetic oil in my VE though. They are much better for the engine long term. Look for 5W40 Synpower or HPR5 on sale.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
I'm only having Penrite poured into the Go-kart, but not sure what it is (5W??...Don't have the service record with me here). The Service facility (not Holden) used to fill only with Castrol until 3 years ago, before switching over to Penrite. I have no qualms; used Penrite in my VZ and the wobbly Toyota CSi Lexcen (VP Commodore-cross) wagon before that.

mechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
cheap oils from Repco are refined from used oil
Nope. All Repco branded oils are manufactured by Penrite. The supply contract changes every 5 years or so, but for the moment it’s Penrite.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
The guy who rebuilt the head for my Volvo, who was recommended by someone I trust & who has a very good reputation in the industry, reckoned Nulon & Penrite were both very good. I've stuck with Penrite, for no specific reason other than the local car-bits place stocking it ... seems worthwhile putting the same stuff back in as I drained out, so the remnants floating around in there are consistent with the new stuff. :)

Repco stuff isn't necessarily as good, though. There's no reason they couldn't do the same thing as the likes of Arnotts when making a generic-brand knock-off of a Scotch Finger Biscuit; leaving out the occasional ingredient so it's not quite as good as the original.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
... Is the container made in China? or is the oil made in China from regurgitated animal fats or fast food outlets with oil from fried chips?...

This is to find out which oil is the best and to work out where the oils are really refined in Aus ?...
Quite simply put when a label on some packaging states “Made in ...” it defines where the contents within the package were made. Any other interpretation of such a label would make a mockery of packaging laws and would also be deceptive and thus illegal on multiple fronts.

As to quality of oils, that’s defined by the various standards. Magnatec 10W-40 is full synthetic oil meeting the following specs API SN/CN and ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4. Shell Helix 10W-40 is a synthetic and mineral blend meeting the following specs API SN/CF; ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4; JASO SG+.

Both oils are the same viscosity and and meet the same main specs despite one being full synthetic while the other is a blend. Both oils should work well in a vehicle requiring that viscosity. Which oil brand is better is always up for debate and there are many many threads within JC going over that very topic (so you could read till you drop :p). And most on JC would say one should change their oil well before the Holden recommended interval, maybe every 5000kms, which makes the API SN/CF oil overkill (but good to be sure) :rolleyes:

Where the oil was made is less of an issue unless you subscribe to a buy Australian philosophy (which must be commended). But where you buy the oil is more important in once sense as a large Australia wide business is more likely to not want to ruin its reputation by selling falsely speced products from a dodgy overseas manufacturer. Some small scale dodge eBay seller on the other hand.....

wobbles123

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SV6 Auto Ute, 2013 VF SV6 Auto Sedan.
Quite simply put when a label on some packaging states “Made in ...” it defines where the contents within the package were made. Any other interpretation of such a label would make a mockery of packaging laws and would also be deceptive and thus illegal on multiple fronts.
I must agree with you regarding the contents of the packaging etc.....it was just by reading the very fine print on the back of the Shell Container that it was made in China...this raised alarm bells....where as the Castrol Magnatec had no specific details as to where is was refined....only reference to BP....so I will wait till the Castrol Magnetec is on special again...which seems to come around every so often.....looking at Repco Oils available...it is a mine field.
Maybe Repco should lower their prices to reflect the glutton of oil around the world because of the FLUE Pandemic....and the use of vehicles is restricted….have noticed that Coles and Woolworths have increased their prices on everything....!@#$%^&*

As to quality of oils, that’s defined by the various standards. Magnatec 10W-40 is full synthetic oil meeting the following specs API SN/CN and ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4. Shell Helix 10W-40 is a synthetic and mineral blend meeting the following specs API SN/CF; ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4; JASO SG+.

Both oils are the same viscosity and and meet the same main specs despite one being full synthetic while the other is a blend. Both oils should work well in a vehicle requiring that viscosity. Which oil brand is better is always up for debate and there are many many threads within JC going over that very topic (so you could read till you drop :p). And most on JC would say one should change their oil well before the Holden recommended interval, maybe every 5000kms, which makes the API SN/CF oil overkill (but good to be sure) :rolleyes:

Where the oil was made is less of an issue unless you subscribe to a buy Australian philosophy (which must be commended). But where you buy the oil is more important in once sense as a large Australia wide business is more likely to not want to ruin its reputation by selling falsely speced products from a dodgy overseas manufacturer. Some small scale dodge eBay seller on the other hand.....

Last edited:

BlaserF3

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF/S1 SS Storm Ute - quite warmed up
If anyone wants to know more about oils and lubricants than you would use in a lifetime Google "Bob is the Oil Guy" (BITOG).

Personally I prefer especially now to try to buy Australian as far a practical so it's Penrite for me.