Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

cat converter

P

patrix

just a quick question for a mate of mine, he has a vl turbo calais and recently bought it off sum dude in canberra, as it appears the exhaust has been modded, its 3" from the turbo back and runs to a hotdog and out to a rear muffler, no cat converter unless the hotdog is not a hotdog and is a cat but it doesnt have the holes in the bottom like my vn had but anyways, he wants to know is there anything wrong with getting a vn cat converter and putting two 3" to 2 1/4" reducers on the cat converter and then welding that up to the 3 "exhaust? he is worried the exhaust goin from a 3" into the 2 1/4" cat and then out to the 3" exhaust might be fair bad for it. any1 got any help or advice they can give him ? i told him to go buy a 3" cat but he is convinced into puttin the cat off the commodore if it wont cause a problem, another one of those money saving ideas :p anyways lataz

camvyss

Doof, Doof, Doof
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY2 SS 5.7L A4
2 choices.

1. Leave it as is, the cat has most likely been 'gutted'.

2. Get a 'hi-flow' 3-4" cat. But don't make the exhaust different sizes. You ideally want 3" straight through.

From a legal standpoint you must have a cat, but performance wise you don't. So if he wants performance no cat, if he wants legal go option 2.

vinnywelsh

Bored Technician
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 3.8L Berlina
Just remember, if he is caught running a car without a cat, the fines are pretty damn hefty

P

patrix

so if he did put the vn cat on, and has the exhaust goin from a 3 " to a reducer into a 2 1/4" cat and then out into a reducer again back to the 3" exhaust will that cause any noticable problems long term or short term, even tho its only like 250 mm long ?????

camvyss

Doof, Doof, Doof
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY2 SS 5.7L A4
You shouldn't make your exhaust different sizes no. Yes it can cause problems.

Noone has asked the question, why? Why does he want to use a Cat off a VN?

If he wants to save money, just get a cheap Cat that is of a matching size. Just try to steer clear of mixing pipe sizes through the exhaust.

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Just tell him to save.. Having a 2 1/4 cat kinda gets rid of the purpose of having a 3" exhaust in the first place.

And yes, the fine for not having a cat is huge, I'd tell him to hurry up and get it asap.

P

patrix

lol he wants to use a vn cat just coz he has one lying around, but i have told him everything all you guys have told me and he said he will go get a high flow cat, he said to thank you all for your help