Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Central locking - driver door

vsv8berlinawag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II 5 ltr Berlina Wagon
Just happened..... the drivers door will not lock when locking the car. All of the other doors lock, but the horn will make a brief "beep" indicating something is a miss. If you try and push the button down it's just jammed, but when you unlock the car with the first press of the remote you can hear the solenoid work, and if you try and use the key to manually (dead) lock the car, the key won't turn. I'm guessing a linkage has fritzed ?

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Has the orange clip moved out a bit, preventing the button going down ? Try tapping that in first.

Alternatively, pull the door trim off, give the mechanism (not the solenoid) a liberal drowning in CRC or similar, manually lock and unlock it multiple times to let the CRC work its magic and then have a go with the remote.

Once that is done, you should be able to see if the solenoid is indeed activating correctly.

vsv8berlinawag

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks VS 5.0 (been a while since I've logged in). Clip is good.....something must be amiss with a linkage ??? I was hoping that it was a common fault with these 19 year old Commodores.....a job for the weekend. These VS Series 2 Commodores are getting harder and harder to look shmick !

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
Has the orange clip moved out a bit, preventing the button going down ? Try tapping that in first.

Alternatively, pull the door trim off, give the mechanism (not the solenoid) a liberal drowning in CRC or similar, manually lock and unlock it multiple times to let the CRC work its magic and then have a go with the remote.

Once that is done, you should be able to see if the solenoid is indeed activating correctly.

As said here. I got a door lock working simply with lubrication and it's worked every time since for some years now. It was doing similar things: trying to lock, showing some movement but not locking. It wasn't the driver's door and I could push the button down to manually lock it

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
Both my Senators have orange clip issues - different doors same issue. I find hot days the worst, as they must swell a little and pop out.

vsv8berlinawag

Reaction score
Members Ride
NORTI, you got it in one ! The clip was just out by a poofteenth......pushed it back and all is good.

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
NORTI, you got it in one ! The clip was just out by a poofteenth......pushed it back and all is good.

I had never heard that unit of measurement until recently,, and now its everywhere.

I have a habit now where I use the key to poke the orange bit, and then close door & lock - tada!

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I believe a poofteenth is an imperial measurement. As such has been around for decades.

vsv8berlinawag

Reaction score
Members Ride
Has been around but not regularly heard, You also deserve the credit VS 5 Litre BT1 as I was typically looking into the worst case scenario..... must step back and re-think the situation !

Thanks all.

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
I prefer to work in metric measurements, in which case a poofteenth becomes one and a half bee's dicks (approximately)