Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

central locking installation

bigg_vin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH V8
hey
im currently installing central locking into the VH.

i have strong enough actuators and i am certain that all the wiring is correct.

there is quite a but of strain on the rear actuators but when the doors actually work they dont seem to struggle on any of the doors.

what happens is:
i lock all the dorrs
i connect the battery
go to the drivers door and turn the key, nothing happens.
i go to the passanger door, and sometimes, every 5 or 6 times, i lock or unlock the door, the actuator will force my key the other way, and all the other three actuators will then follow.
so if i was trying to lock the door, the actuator will force the lock open, and the other doors will open.
then, the next time directly after this that i try and lock the doors, they all lock.

i rang both jaycar and JBHIFI but none of the guys i spoke to knew anything about anything.

i have a slight feeling it might be the little control module.

does any one know if all those little modules are the same for different brands?

if i operated the locks with out the key, nothing ever happened.

any help?
thanks

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
You could tell us what type/brand it is

yobbo88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH commodore SL wagon 253
i had almost the same thing but needed one to go backwards because i couldnt mount all actuators the same way check your wiring at the master actuator... any crossed wires and it sends a backwards signal making them sound like they are fighting themselves... hope that helps. it gets hard if the wires arent colour coded...

bigg_vin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH V8
the brand is TaiGer International. 4 door central locking kit. no remote.

there are two master actuators though.

and luckily they are colour coded.

so maybe one actuator needs to be reversed but the others dont?

85berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK berlina sedan 202
Hi Mate,
I actually work at Jaycar, are you using the inbuilt switches in the actuators to trigger the central locking relay or are you using external switches that mount in the middle of the locking bars inside the doors.

bigg_vin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH V8
hey
sorry, i guess im ignorant now, i dont understand what exactly you mean!

there are no other parts besides the actuators, the wiring and the control module. so i am guessing its inbuilt.

is that what you mean?

thanks buddy

85berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK berlina sedan 202
If the switches are inbuilt then I doubt that they would be playing up.

If the system was working against the key every time, then I would say that wiring from the trigger switches in the actuators are swapped around.

Because it is working every now and again, then it most likely the relay (control module) as you said before. This should be a simple unplug, plug in job like most relays.

It could even be a combination of mixed up wiring and a faulty relay so I would suggest checking both.

BTW, the reason I asked about the switches is because if you are replacing an original stock system (I'm unsure), then the original switches mount in the middle of the locking bars and these tend to play up after twenty or more years. I have had quite a bit of problems with these on various cars.

bigg_vin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH V8
oh, no. i did not originally have central locking.

thanks for the help.

when i did un plug the control module, with the battery power on. all the doors unlocked.

ive checked the wiring, so i guess the only other thing it could be is the control module.

do you think i will be able to buy any control module and use it?

thanks again

85berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK berlina sedan 202
You should be able to use any standard relay but the connectors and pinouts are probably going to be different. So, if you wanted to use another relay, you will most likely have to cut and resolder the wires.

If this is a new system you should be able to go back to where you purchased it and get it swapped.

Before you do that, can you please try to lock and unlock the doors from the inside and tell us what happens. Make sure you don't forget the drivers door.

bigg_vin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH V8
hey, yeah if i do that nothing happens. at all.

i found that if i gave the central locking remote outputs from the relay a negative pulse via test light, the doors unlocked and locked every time.

i am currently fitting an alarm system as well. hopefully the central locking will work via remote even if it doesnt work via the key.

with the alarm system, you will probably know this as well 85berlina, it need to be tapped into the indicators and stop lamp switch. can i justtake this from the fuses? does that make sence?

thanks