Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

centre bearing drive shaft

vncruzr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY LS1
guys i was just wondering if your centre bearing is worn and noisy would you hear the noise right through the car? what does it sound like. does it sound like wheel bearings or diff whine? any help would be great.

wildss

Reaction score
Members Ride
vnss
it sounds like the tailshaft is going to fall out lol but thats when its totally gone

wildss

Reaction score
Members Ride
vnss
its just a loud clonk thats sounds like metal hitting metal for some reason...thats what mine sounded like anyway

Zuicider

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Set of thongs
its just a loud clonk thats sounds like metal hitting metal for some reason...thats what mine sounded like anyway

hehe i had that but the tailshaft wasnt balanced. got it balanced and it worked fine but they told me it was in its way out. bloody exspensive part to replace

beefcream

Lethal LOKKA
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS 5speed (project) VN exec v6 (daily)
im havin this prob aswell, i just got my centre bearing in the tailshaft replaced but its still kinda of there. can u explain about it being balanced? mines lowered and i havnt got a adjustable panhard rod. but i never had this problem until recent

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
guys i was just wondering if your centre bearing is worn and noisy would you hear the noise right through the car? what does it sound like. does it sound like wheel bearings or diff whine? any help would be great.

If the bearing is gone, it would sound like a wheel bearing but it would not change when swerving left and right. If the CV joint was gone then it would be rattly at low speeds, and if it was the rubber it will vibrate.

im havin this prob aswell, i just got my centre bearing in the tailshaft replaced but its still kinda of there. can u explain about it being balanced? mines lowered and i havnt got a adjustable panhard rod. but i never had this problem until recent

Did you start having the problem after the centre bearing was done? If so then it may be a balance issue as the two halves have to be put back in exactly the same position.
From factory the tailshaft is balanced as a complete unit, so when it spins it doesn't vibrate. If it has been separated without it being marked then it can be put back in about 200 different positions (the number of splines x the 6 allen bolts), this will result in a vibration if it is put back in the wrong position.
Also with it being lowered, have the spacers been removed from the centre bearing mount? Maybe this is your problem, if the spacers are still there, the two parts of the tailshaft will be at the incorrect angle causing wear on your CV joint and rear uni and this can cause a vibration too.

beefcream

Lethal LOKKA
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS 5speed (project) VN exec v6 (daily)
mine rattles at low speed and slow takeoff and vibrates while crusing along. the problem was there before the centre bearing was done, and im prety sure the spacers wouldnt have been touched so that may cause some problems.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

does it do it once as you apply power or is it there constantly. if only when applying power have a look at the universal joint at the diff end. mine was that shagged all the needle bearings had fallen out and the center piece of the universal was moving in the cups etc