Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Centre compartment

HowMat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Lumina
I was wondering if i could change this style of centre compartment

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387973130.533564.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387973141.733102.jpg

to -

this style?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387973195.316717.jpg

and what problems i may face and if it's an easy install? Have you done it yourself?

Thank you for any info

VZ Lumina

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
So you want to change the cup holder to the same compartment as under the radio? Why?

Lots of work and all custom build, good luck.

Christinkler13

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Calais
Yes you can it is removable. However that second image you have isn't the right compartment.
That compartment is for the rear compartment at the back of the glovebox accessible by the passenger seats and the front one under then headunit. They aren't that cheap to honest and do break fairly easily If you are a little bit rough with them. The one you want is the compartment Calais have stock, which is a similar click to open compartment.

To remove the centre console use a trim removal tool or a screwdriver in a rag and begin to pry off the plastic surrounding. There are 6 clips located at the same position each side. One right up against the glove box, one in the middle of the centre console and one right at the end closest to the headunit. There is also a screw located underneath the front compartment located below the headunit. Once they are all I clipped carefully remove it be sure to remove the cables going to the window switches etc. If you search it in the forums there are detailed picture guides so you don't ruin your trim! Hope that helped

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HowMat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Lumina
Was going to probably change the cup holder one and the one in the rear, just prefer the look to the open gaps etc.

VZ Lumina

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman LS1, VX Commodore
statesman/caprice and calai come with a "mobile phone compartment" that goes there (were the console drink holders are in the povo models) it's essentially a spring loaded door mechanism that slots in that spot. the clip that holds the lid shut tends to break as soon as you look at it, so I swapped mine over to a povo spec cup holder. it's much more useful imo.

to swap them over you need to pull the top of the console up which is pretty straight forward to do.

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman LS1, VX Commodore
povo = poverty pack/basic models.

I'd rather the extra holders tbh. the lids and the springs inside are flimsy. the insert set I bought has a fitting rubber tray that goes over the top, kinda like what's in the console bin. I guess it is good if you want to add a ipod/stereo cable for your phone, it is a handy place to stow it.

wod300

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX Berlina Supercharged 3.8
I was looking at putting in one of those cell phone compartments in place of the console drinks holder as well. Question for iChris, whats a povo model?

Base model = "poverty pack"

Haven't heard that in a while.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Christinkler13

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Calais
The cell phone compartment is good, but like almost everyone else's mine is broken. I ended up pulling mine apart and removing 1 spring so the lid closes and stays closed, then with a slight tap of the finger it opens. I am thinking about swapping mine back to the povo model