Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Centre dash speaker in VE

jjFarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II Phantom
Why on earth would you even want to have 5.1 (or greater) in your CAR?
To set it up so you can actually enjoy the true 5.1 surround sound, you need to either sit in the middle of the back seat, or stuff around with the head unit et al so much, that it becomes too troublesome to do, when you use it for normal music as well..
At least, that's how I see it.
Ultimately, music is still just good ole stereo & has the best audio response (THX certified gear doesn't need to go below 35Hz & anything over 20KHz cannot be heard by us humans).
What am I missing here? :D

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
Why go 5.1? Well, really only useful if you've got a DVD player in there. In which case they usually have the 4.1 channel out as well as one out for centre! :p

jjFarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II Phantom
I realise that, but what I mean is why surround sound like that?
It's a car after all. If you want to enjoy 5.1 surround sound, you should be at home (that is, not in the car ;)), where you can watch your movie from your favourite non-mobile chair, in the safety of your house, on the biggest screen you can afford to get, because that's the only reason for 5.1 (or higher) - movies (or games if you want to nit-pick :whistling)
That sorta thing :p
Again, the THX standard is actually inferior to normal (music) stereo..

Chemhaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
how do u get to the center speaker??
I wish someone would answer your question, I want to remove the one from my VE Calais V and see if i can pick up the front signal and install a processor like the LC6, BitONE or RF 3Sixty.

dakman

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ute 22's lowered hardlid
hey mate i just removed mine myself a fewdays ago, you have to take off the parts on the side of you roof above your window/ by removing the tab and undoing the allan key bolt and then pulling it off. then you have to remove the part covering the splits and then the centre part. (these only have tabs not bolts to undo, so you have to pull up on it gently so you dont break it.) then you can get to the speaker grill, put your fingers under it and lift up, once agian there is only tabs there and no screws so you will need a little bit of force. then when you remove that you have got to your speaker. i cut a speaker wire either side of the speaker as there is 2 sets of wires comming in and i taped them up, instead of pulling out the speaker and leaving the wirionng there as it would rattle and make an awful noise. then all you have to do it put all the bits of plastic back and your done. the centre speaker will not affect you bluetooth when disconnecting it or cutting it. hope this helps =]

CABLE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
hey mate i just removed mine myself a fewdays ago, you have to take off the parts on the side of you roof above your window/ by removing the tab and undoing the allan key bolt and then pulling it off. then you have to remove the part covering the splits and then the centre part. (these only have tabs not bolts to undo, so you have to pull up on it gently so you dont break it.) then you can get to the speaker grill, put your fingers under it and lift up, once agian there is only tabs there and no screws so you will need a little bit of force. then when you remove that you have got to your speaker. i cut a speaker wire either side of the speaker as there is 2 sets of wires comming in and i taped them up, instead of pulling out the speaker and leaving the wirionng there as it would rattle and make an awful noise. then all you have to do it put all the bits of plastic back and your done. the centre speaker will not affect you bluetooth when disconnecting it or cutting it. hope this helps =]

I didn't have to do all that for my SV6. All i done to disconnect and remove the center speaker was pull the speaker grill off from the back (closest to the light sensor) with a bit of pressure. All that's holding the grill in are tabs - one on each side on the center, two that slide into front and one that goes down into a slot...
Anyway after you pull the grill off thee are two screws to take out and the crappy little speaker comes out with two wires connected. Disconnect them and you all good to remove the speaker itself.
Like everyone else said...big difference in sound quality :)

igo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V Series II
I wish someone would answer your question, I want to remove the one from my VE Calais V and see if i can pick up the front signal and install a processor like the LC6, BitONE or RF 3Sixty.
Chemhaz -it is quite simple to remove the centre speaker
On the top of the dash above the head unit is a 'mesh' panel above the spaeker - this panel is held in place with plastic tabs
Grip the edge of the panel where it abuts the channel toward the windscreen and prise it up and back - be careful not to loose the plastic tab retainers into the dash - the panel comes away revealing the speaker which is held in place with two screws. Remove the screws and electrical connector
re-assembly is obvious
Hope this helps

dakman

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ute 22's lowered hardlid
I didn't have to do all that for my SV6. All i done to disconnect and remove the center speaker was pull the speaker grill off from the back (closest to the light sensor) with a bit of pressure. All that's holding the grill in are tabs - one on each side on the center, two that slide into front and one that goes down into a slot...
Anyway after you pull the grill off thee are two screws to take out and the crappy little speaker comes out with two wires connected. Disconnect them and you all good to remove the speaker itself.
Like everyone else said...big difference in sound quality :)

i tried and tried doing that with alot of force and it wouldnt come and i didnt want to break the tabs thats y i did the long way lol

jonson

Reaction score
Members Ride
just a VS exec..... and a VEss Ute

+1 sticky :yeah: this is the first mod any VE owner should do :rip: center speaker

HUX 90

POSION VE SS UTE
Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE SS UTE
I just upgrade the centre speaker in my SS ute to a 4" Polk audio Speaker, because the stock speaker is a dual voice coil and the
Polk is a single voice coil you only need to use the positive from from one factory wire harness and a negative from the other factory harness. I have photos
of the install on my profile. I originally removed the centre when I installed my alpine type r splits but the bluetooth audio became realy poor.
The new speaker realy hammers now, the sound is much louder and depending how you wire it up also affects how load the speaker is.