Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ceramic coated headers - worth extra cost?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Have coatings improved?
For sure.
My turbo manifold would've been done about 20 years ago, the colour was satin black & it was already greying from heat by the time the car had finished on the dyno. People around here are saying that takes much longer these days.
I know that's just a colour thing, but still, it DOES mean coatings have improved.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Have coatings improved? Wasn't that many years ago that the coating businesses wouldn't do secondhand headers as they couldn't guarantee the coating would stick.
The used MX5 header that I had coated needed alot of prep prior to coating, even after I had ground off and linished the tabs, then wire wheeled it, I believe they sand blasted it, gave it a chemical bath, then prepsoled it or something before it was ready for coating, I had the car for another 2 years after getting it coated and whilst it did get some stains and dulled out a bit, it never peeled off anywhere, that thing lived on redline, alot

Like any coating, I believe it is all in the prep work

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Have coatings improved? Wasn't that many years ago that the coating businesses wouldn't do secondhand headers as they couldn't guarantee the coating would stick.

The photo of mine that I had coated in Titanium were originally in Bright Ceramic, they were 6 years old.

The flange at the head was still Shiny but the top of the primaries had turned blue and the collectors had tarnished and were peeling.

They were chemically stripped then recoated in titanium.

The recoat was done 7 years ago and they are still looking good but with a bit of surface rust around the collectors.

1685005426182.jpeg

1685005450563.jpeg

1685005485946.jpeg

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Ceramic Coat Australia a division of Pacemaker, has always done ours and coated used headers no problems. I think the first set they did was a set of used Genie headers I'd modified for an HQ race car in 2002.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hmmm, despite turbo heat & the fact my exhaust-manifold was done ~7yrs before those headers in @panhead’s photos & my complaints about discolouration, nothing’s actually flaked off mine. There’s still a solid coating, no visible rust.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Hmmm, despite turbo heat & the fact my exhaust-manifold was done ~7yrs before those headers in @panhead’s photos & my complaints about discolouration, nothing’s actually flaked off mine. There’s still a solid coating, no visible rust.

Some of my cars sit around for long periods without driving and I live near the ocean and everything around my house that doesn't move has surface rust and the only way I can combat it is by continuously cleaning, and unfortunately not everything I own gets that luxury.

I have other cars stored inland that never show signs of any deterioration.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Some of my cars sit around for long periods without driving and I live near the ocean and everything around my house that doesn't move has surface rust and the only way I can combat it is by continuously cleaning, and unfortunately not everything I own gets that luxury.

I have other cars stored inland that never show signs of any deterioration.
I just noticed you're on the Central Coast; yeah that can be pretty hard on cars!

Having said that, the shell I used for my car had been in Wamberal for many years and it was pretty good for rust. I can't recall but it might have been rust-proofed when new, that stuff seems to have worked OK with hindsight (but given that most new car buyers from the early 80's onwards didn't intend to own that car into the Rust Years they prolly didn't particularly care :)).

PeteSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Redline
not worth it in my opinon on a ls

My pacemaker 4>1 1 7/8 are losing there ceramic coating on my VE with only 36000kms on it.
i have the same headers. Same thing happening to mine

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore