Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ceramic coated headers - worth extra cost?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Pacemaker headers come with their own coating but I don't think it's a heat barrier coating? Any one have any experience with getting those re-coated?

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
The used MX5 header that I had coated needed alot of prep prior to coating, even after I had ground off and linished the tabs, then wire wheeled it, I believe they sand blasted it, gave it a chemical bath, then prepsoled it or something before it was ready for coating, I had the car for another 2 years after getting it coated and whilst it did get some stains and dulled out a bit, it never peeled off anywhere, that thing lived on redline, alot

Like any coating, I believe it is all in the prep work
When you got yours treated, did you get yours done on the inside, or just the outside?

blackvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS, VE SS ute, VZ SS crewman, VYSS, VX SS, VTSS
Pacemaker headers come with their own coating but I don't think it's a heat barrier coating? Any one have any experience with getting those re-coated?
Pacemaker have there own company

Ceramic Australia​

I got them to coat a set of shorty 4>1 headers HSV i had on my Sv8(sick of scrapping headers) and they looked brand new when i sold the car. These are dipped so coating inside and out.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
When you got yours treated, did you get yours done on the inside, or just the outside?
Inside and outside

Reactions: Lex

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore

Ceramic Australia​

I got them to coat a set of shorty 4>1 headers HSV i had on my Sv8(sick of scrapping headers) and they looked brand new when i sold the car. These are dipped so coating inside and out.
All mine have been sprayed

Like this

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

Ceramic Australia​

I'm in NZ so more likely to use one of our local places for coatings.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
All mine have been sprayed

Like this

looking at those piston coatings is the exact reason i got these guys to do those coatings to my heads intake/exhaust ports and valves/chamber, keeps the heat out of the head and the incoming airflow but keeps the heat within the chamber to make power and then push it out with less heat soak into the valves/heads/exhaust

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
Wouldn’t ceramic coating make the headers weaker since they get a lot hotter, or does that apply to header wrap only?
Was going to ceramic coat my headers, but couldn’t justify the cost since it is only going on my SV6 and I don’t plan on big modifications

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Wouldn’t ceramic coating make the headers weaker since they get a lot hotter, or does that apply to header wrap only?
Was going to ceramic coat my headers, but couldn’t justify the cost since it is only going on my SV6 and I don’t plan on big modifications
The problem with wrap is trapping moisture inside hence promoting rust; that doesn’t happen with a ceramic coating. They don’t get hotter with a coating, in fact if you get the coating on the inside too they probably don’t get as hot (albeit without much difference).

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
The problem with wrap is trapping moisture inside hence promoting rust
They used to wrap HQ race car headers to keep heat off the inlet manifold (202 red motor) and running on avgas that is much more corrosive than unleaded fuel, new headers could rust out under the wrap and collapse in less than 12 months. Ceramic coating remedied all the wrap/rust issues!