Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

change cat converters to strait pipes

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
Alien....you're a knob for condoning the removal of cats. And so is anybody else for suggesting or agreeing with it.

You can have a fast car that sounds good without doing anything illegal.
I never condoned the removal of cats. No where in my posts do i condone it, i was simply answering the question posted by eroled. I was contemplating this for my VY, but i went against it, it was only going to be a temporary solution for me anyways because soon i will be redoing the whole exhaust.

And believe me, i know you can have a fast car that sounds good without doing anything illegal.

And just so you know, cats dont reduce the sound by much anyways, that's the job of the mufflers. Cats are simply there to be a catalyst for chemical reactions to create safer gasses.

f1tzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T Ute manual
Gutted cats tend to echo

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series Thunder Utility - Turbo
mufflers. Cats are simply there to be a catalyst for chemical reactions to create safer gasses.

Which is generally why you should leave them on... If you've ever heard a car with a hollowed out cat you'll agree it sounds like crap. If you put on straight pipes where the cats used to be you wouldn't have this problem as there'd be nothing to echo in, though i don't support this at all.

eroled

VY SS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Thanks people for the input im going to go with hi flow cats ,the rest of the exhaust has been done so now the stock cats must go.

H1GHROLLR

CHEMICALLY SUPERCHARGED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX CLUBSPORT R8 LS1
or you could weld pipes through your cats its still illegal but less chance of gtting caught but it does make your cats smaller diamiter better to go high flow

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
Which is generally why you should leave them on... If you've ever heard a car with a hollowed out cat you'll agree it sounds like crap. If you put on straight pipes where the cats used to be you wouldn't have this problem as there'd be nothing to echo in, though i don't support this at all.
Thats when you weld a pipe inside the bashed out cat to look like a cat but effectivly be a straight through pipe. That would get around the echo.

And good choice going the hi-flow cats. Which brand you looking at eroled?

H1GHROLLR

CHEMICALLY SUPERCHARGED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX CLUBSPORT R8 LS1
magnaflow good and cheap too

adamc11

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VE SS V Z M6
Thanks people for the input im going to go with hi flow cats ,the rest of the exhaust has been done so now the stock cats must go.

Smarter idea mate :thumbsup:. As stated above, magnaflow are good.

eroled

VY SS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
ill go for the magnaflow i think do they do 2.5" or 3" cats

Senator Slash

Slashman
Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII HSV Signature Senator
Ah yes true I didnt know you had different and strict rules governing emissions in Aussy. Sorry for any misleading-ness ill think before I post regarding NZ-Au now!

In NZ they are talking about doing it but we are all hoping they wont enforce it. I have heard that HSV cats are good replacements if you want to change them as they flow really well, but the bottom line is for more performance the engine is just a big air pump. The more in the more out the better. Hence intake mods and exhaust mods people do.

You dont want to have them too free flowing though as I said in my original post as you will risk losing power.

Last edited: