Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Change in the Power when restarting the car..

akarshmalikal

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
Hey Mates,
When i start the car and drive i feel loss of power ( it happens few times a week ) then i just turn off engine and on engine again and i get the actually power of a alloytec. Why is this happening it has anything to do with ECU ( as new cars feature shut downs a cylinder if not required. To save fuel ) ??? or my coil pack or spark plugs playing ??

Even sometime when i apply full acceleration when car is on neutral gear it mis fires sometime. Please suggest.

Reagrds
Akarsh Malikal.
VZ lover :surprise:

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
What methodology are you utilising in order to calculate the 'loss of power' when starting the engine ? When you turn the engine off and on again how do you know that there is any variation in the power output of the engine ? If you continue to apply full acceleration when the car is in neutral, it will only be a short time before your engine 'lets go' and you will no longer have to worry about 'power loss' - you won't have ANY power at all !!

markbaja

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec & SZ Territory Diesel
Oh boy!

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

somefool

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
1991 VN 'S', 1997 Ford Laser 1.6
If you continue to apply full acceleration when the car is in neutral, it will only be a short time before your engine 'lets go' and you will no longer have to worry about 'power loss' - you won't have ANY power at all !!

I thought alloytecs do not allow the driver to rev past 3000RPM when in neutral anyway (-i could be wrong but) so how can one possibly do damage to the engine revving it to 3 grand? If its mis-firing doing 3G then something isnt right.

It sounds like a bit of a wierd issue, maybe coils, maybe ECU. Ive heard of the alloytecs having coil issues. Service it often? tell your mechanic at the next service about it.

akarshmalikal

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
What methodology are you utilising in order to calculate the 'loss of power' when starting the engine ? When you turn the engine off and on again how do you know that there is any variation in the power output of the engine ? If you continue to apply full acceleration when the car is in neutral, it will only be a short time before your engine 'lets go' and you will no longer have to worry about 'power loss' - you won't have ANY power at all !!

Hey Benboy,

sometimes when i apply 100 % of acceleration the pickup is less than the actually as compare to, when i turn off the engine and on the pickup is different ( more The actually pickup )... i tested in the same straight road with A/C off in both the case. As i mention in my post this happens few times in a week.

akarshmalikal

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
I thought alloytecs do not allow the driver to rev past 3000RPM when in neutral anyway (-i could be wrong but) so how can one possibly do damage to the engine revving it to 3 grand? If its mis-firing doing 3G then something isnt right.

It sounds like a bit of a wierd issue, maybe coils, maybe ECU. Ive heard of the alloytecs having coil issues. Service it often? tell your mechanic at the next service about it.

Yes dude u are right its 4000 RPM it won't go beyond it in neutral gear. Even i feel so it have to do with coil pack... There is strange problem with my commodore, when even i face a problem and take it to a mechanic. My commodore just work fine in front of mechanic without misfire etc.. lol

gendi

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VZ SVZ Wagon
you know what ive actually noticed this with my VZ wagon, some days its got plenty of power then some days it feels gutless, i havnt tried turning the car off then back on to see if it makes a difference but somedays the car goes better then others.

holdenvtman1123

Improvise Adapt Overcome
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com.au
Members Ride
VZ Adventra LX6 2006 3.6L
Colder days will be more efficient than warmer days

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

akarshmalikal

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
Day before yesterday I changed Spark plugs + New air filter, Vz working cool so far. My old Spark plugs was 1 year old with 50k km, How usually should i change spark plugs ???

I asked mechanic about the coil pack, how to know if the coil pack is damaged or not. He replied but doing computer test ( OBD 2 scanner ). Is that true ???

aljohnson

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VEII SV6 Commodore
I've got the exact same problem, sometimes the power can change multiple times within one day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk