Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Changed the steering wheel now the buttons don't work. Help

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Steering wheels on new cars cannot be rotated more than a certain amount. That's pretty much full lock anyway. The clockspring can sometimes be attached to things like abs sensors etc.

The steering wheel is no different to old steering wheels function wise, its only the clockspring that can only turn a certain amount of times each way before it breaks. Clockspring is separate from steering wheel.

Clockspring isnt connected to any ABS sensors, it simply connects the airbag to the harness. Some clocksprings have a built in steering angle sensor as well.

Shm1ck

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Thunder Ute
What a crock of ****. There is no way the airbag can go off unless you short the terminals. The plugs can not be connected wrong, they only go one way. Airbags are not dangerous at all if you use a bit of common sense. Disconnecting the battery when working on the steering wheel is a must though.

The airbag fault has to be reset with a scan tool, disconnecting the battery won't do it. I'm with RiCeY, I reckon the clock spring is either broken or damaged.

So there is no way an airbag can go off, but then you say unless you short the terminals.
They are not dangerous??? Let one go off in front off you.

And as I said, take it to Holden

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
End of the day they are an explosive. They are considered to be volatile enough that we have to detonate them prior to sending them back via air for warranty claims.

They can and have killed people. You cant be too cautious.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
So there is no way an airbag can go off, but then you say unless you short the terminals.
They are not dangerous??? Let one go off in front off you.

And as I said, take it to Holden

If you deliberately apply 12v to the airbag terminal then yes, it will go off.

They are not dangerous if handled correctly. A carton of milk is dangerous if handled incorrectly.

They are designed to go off in front of you, if they went off behind you, they wouldn't work as intended then would they?

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
why would someone want to mishandle a crate of milk........

Ive removed my airbag and taped 2 litres of milk in its place. Apparently they are the same thing.